Dog House's

jbg1219

Looking for a dog house for my kennel outside. I have a son that is allergic to dogs pretty bad, and cannot keep the dog inside. I am looking for a quality dog house and not wanting to build it myself, but cannot find what I am looking for. The one I have now is approx 20 years old, insulated and has aluminum exterior and removable top. For the life of me I cannot think of what brand or mfg it is, and I cannot find a tag on it. The thing is in great shape and I would like to get a 2nd one for when I add the next dog to the lineup. Anybody have a direction to point me in? Or good advice on what materials to use to build it out myself.

No picture, but will get one when I get done hunting... MNMEAD, you must not have a son... Pretty cool seeing a couple boys that are just like yourself doing things you enjoy. I have some of the best times watching the one son that is allergic to dogs, shooting birds, and the other giving me daily ice reports from the pond... he cannot wait for ice fishing and has pretty well taken over the boat. It is almost like I have to ask him if I can use it.

I feel for you. I had that fear as each of my kids were born.

If you live in cold climates one option is to have the dog's "house" be in the garage. Even if the garage is not heated it will be warmer and out of the wind. Small run and house area inside ... dog door to the outside ... larger run outside.

Last edited:
My vote would be to send the son to live with family so the dogs can live inside!
Hell - my wife's brother's wife (so yah SIL, but no blood relation) wanted us to have our dog's live outside just in case they stopped by or their kids needed to stay at our place. She also forbid our dogs from visiting my wife's parents house once their dog died. She was so fanatical about it we were estranged for a decade.

I feel for you. I had that fear as each of my kids were born.

If you live in cold climates one option is to have the dog's "house" be in the garage. Even if the garage is not heated it will be warmer and out of the wind. Small run and house area inside ... dog door to the outside ... larger run outside.
This is exactly what I have for my dog. Small run inside unheated garage with an insulated dog house I built on a raised platform, dog door that leads to a raised kennel run outside. Works good. Feel very comfortable with it

This is exactly what I have for my dog. Small run inside unheated garage with an insulated dog house I built on a raised platform, dog door that leads to a raised kennel run outside. Works good. Feel very comfortable with it
I used to do this at my last house. It was fine in the winter but in the summer it was a major issue because of the heat. Insulated garages are often warmer than the outside on a hot day, and quite honestly I'm a lot more worried about my dog over heating than I am of her getting cold (she is a british lab).

I used to do this at my last house. It was fine in the winter but in the summer it was a major issue because of the heat. Insulated garages are often warmer than the outside on a hot day, and quite honestly I'm a lot more worried about my dog over heating than I am of her getting cold (she is a british lab).
Same. I got fans going and open all the windows in the summer. . Lots of water. If it’s real hot I just keep her in the house where it’s nice and cool

It is indeed a K9 Condo.

On a side not, during the recent weather we have had I have been letting dog run in the kennel, 10x15 with the north, west and south sides all protected from wind via 2 buildings and a privacy fence, for about an hour then putting her back in the box in my garage for about 2 hours till letting her out again, I was curious how cold the dog house was for her, so I put a thermometer in there. After having he in there for an hour when I put her back in the garage, I checked it. Out side was -8 and the windchill was -30 - 40. The house was 37 degrees and she was laying in there with her head out of the house. She did not feel cold at all, and I am sure she would be fine to stay outside, but I will continue to move here back and forth. I probably should be more worried about the dog when the outside temps climb above 75 in the summer, then the cold of the winter. (I have fans for the dog shade tarps)

Back