Dog Food

dakota hunting

I have GSP with way to much energy but she wont eat. i leave food for her and she slowly eats it all day. I can also see her rib cage like you would think i was starving her. She is 16 months old, how should i feed her and what high calorie food should i feed her thats economical

I have GSP with way to much energy but she wont eat. i leave food for her and she slowly eats it all day. I can also see her rib cage like you would think i was starving her. She is 16 months old, how should i feed her and what high calorie food should i feed her thats economical

Maybe a vet should have a look at her.

mine is so hyper she rather spend time with human than to eat. I feed Pro Plan and my GSP shows rib cage but not bad and Sophia went to the vet yesterday for her monthly shot, checked out healthy even with the ribs showing. but not as bad. you can see alittle bit of it, but not exposed horribly of ribs.

wouldnt hurt to have the vet check it out JUST to make sure... maybe to make sure no tapeworm or anything like that..

Last edited:
My male springer was super picky like that. He just didn't care all that much about food and I had a hard time keeping weight on him. I switched to Taste of the Wild food about 2 months ago and he can't get enough of it.

They have like 3 or 4 flavors and at my local store it runs $39.99 for a 30 lb bag. It is supposed to be grain and filler free I think. Whatever is in it, all 3 of my dogs really seem to like it and got shinier coats and much better stools after switching.

i use Flint River. Mail order and comes to the door. They send reminders by email. It is really good stuff and typically you feed less. I use the Senior type for the old man and the adult/puppy for the new one. Also supplement with their trout/potatoe.

You may try adding some chicken broth to the dry food that you are using. That usually does the trick.

If he's on heartworm preventative chances are he doesn't have worms.

My 1 1/2 yo springer eats 4plus cups of high grade food a day and has very little if any body fat. Some dogs just have a high metabolism. If he keeps his energy level up I wouldn't worry about it too much. Dogs that eat less are proven to live longer healthier lives.

My male springer was super picky like that. He just didn't care all that much about food and I had a hard time keeping weight on him. I switched to Taste of the Wild food about 2 months ago and he can't get enough of it.

They have like 3 or 4 flavors and at my local store it runs $39.99 for a 30 lb bag. It is supposed to be grain and filler free I think. Whatever is in it, all 3 of my dogs really seem to like it and got shinier coats and much better stools after switching.

I as well feed my lab Taste of the Wild. Atlantic Salmon to be exact. I found this to be the best with my lab's sensitive stomach. I had good results with Pro-plan Performance in my other dogs.

My GSP doesnt eat when away from home and she just came home from a months stay at a trainers kennel. You can about imagine what she looked like. She was free fed the whole time she was there so she did it her self. Ran a Vet check and all was fine. I feed ProPlan and this time of the year I feed the "active dog" brand. Its 35% protien and 20% fat. I free fed her for a week and gave her as much as she wanted. She ate like a pig! But now shes back to her normal weight, hunts all day, and her coat is once again very shiney and sleek.

I have the problem with the dogs eating when we are on a hunting trip as wwell and have found that tthe cheap canned food mixed in real good with the dry helps them eat they like the smell of the canned so they eat and its mixed with the dry so they get both but my lab won't even touch that so we have to put eggs in hers aswell as the canned food its a hassle sometimes making up all the different choices but if they don't eat good then they simply will not perform well

Is this your first GSP?

Can you share any pictures of her?

As was stated try another brand of food, or try wetting it down with a little warm water.

First of all Shorthair's are a very athletic looking breed. If you've ever seen pictures of Pointers (English) they have that same look to them. Not saying your dog is not at an ideal weight, just that some rib (at least the last couple) showing on the breed is not uncommon and in fact ideal as long as there is good muscle mass throughout. Being 16 months old has a lot to do with also. She most likely hasn't filled out yet. If her energy is good I don't think you have a lot too worry about. If you are concerned, I agree have your vet check her out.

P.S. a dog that is too thin will start showing some hip and back bone. If you notice this then you may have an issue.

Last edited:
Is this your first GSP?
P.S. a dog that is too thin will start showing some hip and back bone. If you notice this then you may have an issue.

I have the same issue with a male GSP that is 15 months old; tons of energy, but every rib is showing as well as the back and hip bones

did blood work about 6 weeks ago during an acute bout of diarrhea, vet found nothing

like stated before, some dogs just have a super high metabolism

if she won't eat her food because of taste or texture, mix a little canned food in (it doesn't take much; maybe a 1/4 cup), make sure it is the same brand as the dry food you feed that way you'll reduce the chance of an "upset" stomach

I use Pro Plan for my two GSPs and have found it to be wonderful. When my pup who is a year old now was growing all she was was skin and bones. She was on Iams smart puppy and although a good food it did not put the weight on her like I had wanted. Now at just over a year old she is really starting to look good. I have had her on the Pro Plan Performance for about 5 months now. My two GSPs are big females both weighing 60-70lbs now. The pup just went in the other day for some routine shots and weighed 62 lbs. I think that this food has really helped her with her muscle mass and she really enjoys it too. Neither of my dogs are bigger than need be, you are still able to see thier ribs to some extent but not the hips or back bone. They have great slender athletic builds with energy for days. How are her energy levels? Keep in mind that during the hunting season if you hunt her often she will begin to shed some weight, when my dogs get down to levels where they are no longer performing at thier best I start to supplement them with boiled chicken breast that is untrimmed to help keep them at a desireable weight. Usually during season my older female will get down to about 57lbs and maintain that throughtout the duration of season and look pretty thin.

Take a look at her coat and see how it feels and looks. Alot of times the coat is the first indication that a dog is not getting what it needs from its food. If she looks dull and sheds more than most she may be not getting all that she needs. One thing you can do is feed them a quality food with a tbs of saflower oil on it as this will help the coat because of vitamin E and it will also appeal to her more.

Like others have said though maybe a quick trip to the vet for some routine checks wouldn't be half bad either. It is easier to practice preventative maintance than to play catch up. Good luck and I am sure that she is fine she just looks a bit more lean than some and this may not be what you are used to seeing in this breed.

Last edited:
Look away, and that bowl is licked clean.
mine inhales her food. Never a problem with eating. If we're at a friends' house and their dog food is out, look out. Per weight instructions we're not under feeding her. Actually, for a bit we did give her a bit more, and her stool was really loose. since we cut back a hair (recalibrated the scoop), all's been good in that department. She is almost tooo food motivated.

Back