dog doesnt like to kennel and bites

I know that there are some of you who may think this is to cruel but this is the way it is I have this male dog who used to kennel all the time and now as of lately he refusses to kennel and when I go to get him and make him kennel he bites and tonight he broke the skin so in short rather than giving him a lead lunch what tactics would you guys use I ve already tried the conventional methods of getting him to go back in his kennel and nothing has fazed him

what's his age ? and is it just his kennel or when you also load him in the dog box and has something happened to him in the kennel that has changed for him not to want to go to kennel?

he is going on 2 years and its just the kennel he loves the bnox he knows he gets to go hunting as far as I know nothing has happened to him in there other than when he barks his collar gives him a shock but it hasnt fazed him before just in the last month

he is going on 2 years and its just the kennel he loves the bnox he knows he gets to go hunting as far as I know nothing has happened to him in there other than when he barks his collar gives him a shock but it hasnt fazed him before just in the last month

Is this an outdoor or back of pickup crate? Is it too hot for him? Pretty puzzling deal.

It is his outdoor pen which is wheere he gets food water and shelter I dont understand either but he has one more bite in him and he wont have to worry about it I have way to many peaple and children around here and I try to raise my dogs to feel comfortable in any situation around anyone adult or child heck all my females will let the neighbor kids in the welping box while they are still whelping and thats what I want and expect from each of my dogs

It is his outdoor pen which is wheere he gets food water and shelter I dont understand either but he has one more bite in him and he wont have to worry about it I have way to many peaple and children around here and I try to raise my dogs to feel comfortable in any situation around anyone adult or child heck all my females will let the neighbor kids in the welping box while they are still whelping and thats what I want and expect from each of my dogs

How about letting a vet have a look at him before you shoot him? Could be an undiagnosed health issue.

Once they bite they never stop, is what I was told. A young girl was on my back steps she didn't like dogs. My Brit came up to greet her and she was kicking him. Just as I was ready to yell at her "don't do that." The dog bit her. No matter what I said he had to be destroyed. A very fine bird hunting dog, it makes me mad to think of it.....Bob

I think I would check the kennel for a bees nest. If that isn't it, try to figure out why all of a sudden he has what sounds like a fear of being in the kennel.

no problem!

this is what you do gove put that shock collar on and im assuming he knows the command kennel mine do. ok sit him in front of it and say kennel give him a chance first if nothing start lightly with the collar until he moves if he starts to go in stop the shocking keep juicing him until he goes in no excuse for it whos the boss lay that mfer out!

That could work or it could be a recipe for complete ruin of a good dog.

Dogs bite for all kinds of reasons, not all of them necessarily their fault. I'd caution against assuming a dog suddenly has turned surly for no reason.

1) Get a Vet's health clearance. Double check your actions when you lead the dog into the kennel. Are you touching it somehwere or grabbing it in a place it might be injured or sore?

2) Is it a young male that hasn't been cut yet? Your vet will likely discuss this with you....

3) Take the bark collar or shock collar off and try leading it in. If it goes in without trouble, there's your answer. They don't always function perfectly and controllers can be misused if they fall into wrong hands. If it still won't go in, it may still be the collar. A bad malfunction with a collar might be attributed by the dog to the place it was when it happened.

3) Find another kennel somewhere and see what the dog does when led into it. Use this as a guide.

3a) If it goes into another kennel with no problems, something about your kennel environment has changed. Figure that out as if it's an ongoing thing it's going to continue to be a battle.

3b) If it won't go into ANY kennel, my guess is something happened at one time when it was in your kennel.

Probably some other things would come to mind with a bit more thought.

Last edited:
Ive tried putting him in another kennel he doesnt like that either and he doesnt have the bark collar on unbtil he is in the kennel I dont have to lead him he knows what the word means and until late he has went there when told he has been to the vet since this started for shots and he is fit as a fiddle there werent any noticible sighns of bees or wasps and as pointer suggested I tried the collar thing and I started low and kept increasing it he finally went with heavy stimulation and after awhile he was fine H just simply does not like the kennel I have four pens and its the same in all four pens if that was the case I would gladly change the dogs around but he doesnt like any of them

Ive tried putting him in another kennel he doesnt like that either and he doesnt have the bark collar on unbtil he is in the kennel I dont have to lead him he knows what the word means and until late he has went there when told he has been to the vet since this started for shots and he is fit as a fiddle there werent any noticible sighns of bees or wasps and as pointer suggested I tried the collar thing and I started low and kept increasing it he finally went with heavy stimulation and after awhile he was fine H just simply does not like the kennel I have four pens and its the same in all four pens if that was the case I would gladly change the dogs around but he doesnt like any of them
repetition gove every day like i said whos the boss

I think I figured it out it was me My son put him away lastnight no problem of course he was nice and didnt show athority with him he made it a game whereas when I say kennel I mean kennel its my rules not his I guess i need to be a litlle softer NOT GOING TO HAPPEN I'm the alpha and when I say something they better comply

I think I figured it out it was me My son put him away lastnight no problem of course he was nice and didnt show athority with him he made it a game whereas when I say kennel I mean kennel its my rules not his I guess i need to be a litlle softer NOT GOING TO HAPPEN I'm the alpha and when I say something they better comply

Good news! You and the dog will have a future together after getting to know one another better.

Do all the safety checks in the kennel such as bees nest, nails protruding, etc. Has he forgot who the alpha male is?

Me again, he senses weakness, sorry but that dog has sized up the situation and he decided he is the boss, now do not go nuts on him but re-establish the chain of command!

nice observation field king you should have read the post clearer trust me he knows exactly who the boss is and his ass fits my foot really well thats not the problem and there are no bees or nails or anything else it has all been checked and rechecked

Impossible to diagnose this stuff over the internet as usually not enough info is available, but this still seem like unusual behavior to me for a healthy Britt, unless it's fear biting if you are really heavy handed with him. Is he cut? Again that doesn't always help, but you shouldn't be wanting to breed this dog anymore anyway.

not a britt a lab but it doesnt matter he bit a kid and thats all there is to that so I dont need to worry about it anymore

gove
I tend to agree with only a pointer.
but first I would check that kennel for anything negative--bee's, red antss, etc,
Give him chance.
sounds like something negative happened and has scared him
britts are soft.
remember that.
go easy and see what happens.
John

Back