Dog Dies While At Trainer

The story been bouncing around for a while on social media. Still a sad situation that nobody should have to experience.

Geez what the hell was up with that video? Dog seemed full blown terrified. Am I missing something? I’m pretty green to advanced training tactics but what was that supposed to be?

Sad deal. Dude does have good google reviews.

Geez what the hell was up with that video? Dog seemed full blown terrified. Am I missing something? I’m pretty green to advanced training tactics but what was that supposed to be?

Sad deal. Dude does have good google reviews.
No clue. And for the trainer to apparently send the video to the dog owner? I know there are some harsh techniques used in dog training that yield results, but idk what that was supposed to train and seemed like an odd video to share with a client.

No clue. And for the trainer to apparently send the video to the dog owner? I know there are some harsh techniques used in dog training that yield results, but idk what that was supposed to train and seemed like an odd video to share with a client.
Exactly what I was thinking. Very bizarre.

I’m leery of trainers, but there are good, reputable ones out there. I’ve heard some horror stories…a client of mine was a trainer, and he trained with another trainer from Rice Lake, WI…that guy broke a dogs leg. Which then caused my client to assess other “injured” dogs the other guy had had, and he inferred those injuries were inflicted by the trainer. Another trainer near me often has training dogs crated 23 hours a day. Another high profile trainer did little personally with his dogs…he did the meet and greet with the clients, then would get briefed by his trainer staff before clients were picking up their dog, and he’d act like he’d been doing the training along the way…probably not uncommon. Again, some good one’s out there…but it’s apparent short cuts are a way of life in that biz, thx to electricity, and other things.

I’m leery of trainers, but there are good, reputable ones out there. I’ve heard some horror stories…a client of mine was a trainer, and he trained with another trainer from Rice Lake, WI…that guy broke a dogs leg. Which then caused my client to assess other “injured” dogs the other guy had had, and he inferred those injuries were inflicted by the trainer. Another trainer near me often has training dogs crated 23 hours a day. Another high profile trainer did little personally with his dogs…he did the meet and greet with the clients, then would get briefed by his trainer staff before clients were picking up their dog, and he’d act like he’d been doing the training along the way…probably not uncommon. Again, some good one’s out there…but it’s apparent short cuts are a way of life in that biz, thx to electricity, and other things.
I'm leery as well. Ironically though, the breeder I got my dog from sent his dog to him years ago. Even recommended him to me if I was looking for a trainer for my dog as she got older. Never followed up as I trained her myself.

The guy has likely lost it or has become lazy in his techniques. He may have been great 10 years ago (I have no idea actually), but decided to go the way he did. There was a pointing lab breeder in W Wisconsin that had a decent reputation and posted on these forum websites. He kinda went bonkers and they went in and took every dog from him.

No dog needs to go through that. Felony conviction seems like a long shot in Mille Lacs county. I suspect a plea because if he is a convicted felon ... possession of guns, etc.. good bye.

Side note: UK is banning electric "shock" collars on February 1. It is videos like that that provide "ammo" to the movement stateside.

A few years ago I spent a few hours at this trainers place. First chance to expose my pup to released birds. Got his name on a recommendation. Honestly didn’t have any issues or concerns working with him. Because we were exposing the pup to bird scent for the first time, no e-collar was ever used.
Not sure what to make of this….

I’m just genuinely curious, there has to be more to the story here. As stated, trainer felt it was appropriate to send that video to client.

Regardless not a good look for trainers in the bird dog world. Lots of awesome ones out there.

And if the dog did die from asphyxiation as owner stated things obviously got taken to far and he killed dog.Really no other explanation there.

Last edited:
Right now ... I would suspect that the felony charge is probably the first concern, because if convicted that would be a life changing event for an outdoorsman. His business and business reputation are probably a close second.

So I watched the news clip which showed a clip of the video sent by the trainer and it appears whoa post training is being shown. Of course the clip shown is the dog violently reacting to the process. I do not see any neck restraint keeping the dog suspended.

I am only telling you what I see in the video.

So I watched the news clip which showed a clip of the video sent by the trainer and it appears whoa post training is being shown. Of course the clip shown is the dog violently reacting to the process. I do not see any neck restraint keeping the dog suspended.

I am only telling you what I see in the video.
I'm assuming it was some version of whoa training, and agree the news clip is incorrect that they are tied by their neck to the kennel. At first it looks that way but you can see the dog get back onto the ground and nothing on its neck other than an e-collar.

Either way, seems like an odd spot to do whoa work. Being tied to the wire kennel and close enough to climb onto the side of the kennel, a lot of possible ways for the dog to get injured. Most times when I see whoa work done, it's with a post or pole. Not tied to a wire kennel that the dog could get its foot jammed in there as it's reacting violently.

I wasn't disputing that and it is a bad deal.

Agree with you on that.

If a dog is reacting that negatively to the situation it is in ... the trainer needs to back off and reintroduce or take another approach. Hysterical dogs are not going to learn ... except learn to fear that method, that person, that building. That dog was not going to whoa if that is what was going on.

Back