Dog dandruff

Choclab42

My choc lab has dandruff not terrible by any means but can see some flakes on her back. She doesn't scratch all day our scratch bald spots so I don't think it bothers her to much. My question is if this were one of you guys dogs would you give a fish oil supplement our just leave her alone. Thanks for any responses.

I would defiantly give some salmon oil supplements; not only does it help the coat but also joints and tendons!

Safflower oil, it can be found in any supermarkets oil section. I've used it in the past with great success. The vitamin e really helps the coat. Just a teaspoon a day and you are in business. If you continue it it also helps control shedding.

What are you feeding?

There are lots of products out there you could add to the food or maybe change to a feed that has a higher content of Omega 3 such as a Salmon based feed.

Adding an oil supplement to the food such as olive oil, fish oil etc..works. I've had good luck grinding some flax seeds and adding a tablespoon a day to the food for 2 benefits, Extra Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids and fiber. Makes the coat nice and shiny.

Whatever you use be patient as it will likely take several weeks to maybe even a month or longer to see some benefits if it's going to work. That and regular brushing.

Last edited:
Two things...
Maybe your dogs food isn't cutting it in the coat department.
Not saying it's the greatest by any stretch, but my chocolate (Rowdy) had the prettiest coat I've ever seen on a chocolate and all he ever had was pro plan performance supplemented with rabbits in the back yard. ;)

No joke though...everyone commented about his coat.

Our JRT, (Penny) has had allergies her whole life. The itchy scratching variety.
Never any dandruff to speak of, but last week after mowing, (she loves to follow me around the yard), she had a major allergic reaction.
She just could NOT quit itching.
Anyway, after a little google time, I started supplementing her with fish oil and it has made a world of difference in this dog.
I know it's early, and it's not supposed to work that fast, but it is undeniable how much less she itches now.

Do your homework (or better yet, consult your vet) before you just start giving your dog fish oil though.

Best of luck!

I give my lab 4 fish oil pills a day. He gets 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. I just put a little dab of peanut butter on them and they disappear.

Again...not a vet,
But, from what I've read, too much can also thin the blood causing clotting issues. So, the best thing would be to consult a vet to know how much of a dose (milligrams) your dog can handle.

Is she shedding out. Dandruff can be part of the process.
omega3 and antioxidents, I'm neutral. Not sure that a dog needs more than they get in a quality food? Ask your vet.

Back