Dog box size

Madison COunty

I did a search first and didn't find muchon here. I was wondering if you use a dog box for hunting how much room does your dog need? Do they need to be able to stand up?

I have a 50-60lb GSP and I use a plastic kennel with a insulated mud river cover right now. It works really well but thought about getting a two hole dog box for another one in the future.

I have several and will share my experiences. I have the same setup as you as well as a double Easy Loader and a double insulated aluminum box. You DO NOT want the dogs to stand up. This will prevent injury or sickness during transportation. If traveling far, make sure and air the dogs occasionally before hunting. My single box carries a 50# GSP and it fits in the back seat of my crew cab...especially on cold days. With two GSP's and the doors covered the insulated box stays above freezing.. Good luck!

additional question

I am going through the same process, but looking at a three hole. I have a smaller two hole that I use for short trips, but agree too much room can be as bad as too little. My big issue now is venelation. Unless you have the box sitting on a drawer system, it seems like a lot of boxes could not get enough venilation. Some have vents on the side that would be within an inch of the truck bed without a drawer system. The ones with the drawers have the side vents well above the top of the bed AND THE BETTERS ONES STILL HAVE FANS ON THEM WITH VENTS ABOVE THE BED. What are your recommendations for vents and fans?

Dog box price

What does a quality 2 hole dog box cost? I got quoted today 47" wide x 26" tall (21" tall for the dog)x 26" deep and that includes a 5" storage area on top for $900 not including shipping. :eek:

This place makes awesome/quality dog boxes but I'm not sure that I need one yet. I only have one dog now but when I get one it will definitely be for 2 dogs.

Where did you get a quote from? Prices are all over the price - depends on what you want. My two highest quotes are $4500 for three hole with extras.

Where did you get a quote from? Prices are all over the price - depends on what you want. My two highest quotes are $4500 for three hole with extras.

I got my quote from Alum-Line in Cresco Iowa. Just to be clear my quote is for a dog box that goes in the back of my truck, not a dog trailer. $4500 sounds pretty steep for a box!

My friend and I got the bright idea to build a fancy aluminum dog box, and it turned out really well; however, it did take us about 4 months! Materials were only $250, but if you factor in our labor it may not have been cost efficient! lol We'll see if the photo shows up, I've never used photobucket before.

dog%20box_zpswbhoesfx.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

My friend and I got the bright idea to build a fancy aluminum dog box, and it turned out really well; however, it did take us about 4 months! Materials were only $250, but if you factor in our labor it may not have been cost efficient! lol We'll see if the photo shows up, I've never used photobucket before.

dog%20box_zpswbhoesfx.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

You did a good job. With labor cost - $7,890. I have been there!!!

Your probably talking about boxes that hold more than one dog. I'm a one dog guy that hauls my dog in a crate in the back of my SUV. One concern is heat. I prefer the wire crates which are airier and therefore cooler than plastic ones. It should be big enough for the dog to lie on its side and stretch out its legs and fully stand up although it may need to lower its head. On long trips my dog stands and shifts position periodically to remain comfortable.

Last edited:
Back