Dog box covers

DIRKNPHEZ

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about dog box covers. I am wondering how warm they actually keep the dog box. Are you supposed to keep venting open? Is there a point at which its too cold to use and keep the dogs warm? Any knowledge or advice would be greatly appreciated!!
thanks
jf

I used to have a plastic vari-kennel with a canvas cover over it in an open bed. When it got really cold, I would put an old sleeping bag over it. I'd come out in the mornings pull open the zipper and there would be steam coming out of the box and the dog was plenty cozy on a good fresh bed of hay.

If it were going to get really cold (like single digits) or was going to be really windy, I'd move the crate into the cab of the truck overnight. Dog was always comfortable. I think an insulated cover would do just as good as the crappy sleeping bag I had draped over my box.

If you have the dogs under a topper, I think a non-insulated canvas type of cover will be fine for the dogs with some hay. My buddy runs his dogs like that and has for some time and they seem warm even on those cold mornings.

My dogs are in a homemade wooden box under a topper with some hay today and it's in the single digits where I am at. Checked on them at lunch and they were just fine with one of the vents opened slightly on the box. I used to have a Garmin tempe sensor in there, but it must be broken (I swapped the battery and still can't pick up the signal), however, I remember that 2 dogs were able to keep the box at about 40 degrees above ambient. I've since put an insulated divider in the box (before was just a wood divider with air holes drilled in it) so that two dogs aren't heating the space for 4 and I am sure that helps when I have only two dogs in the box.

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about dog box covers. I am wondering how warm they actually keep the dog box. Are you supposed to keep venting open? Is there a point at which its too cold to use and keep the dogs warm? Any knowledge or advice would be greatly appreciated!!
thanks
jf

I use Ruff Tuff dog box with a mud river kennel cover. Works great. I have a lot of straw in the box so they can burrow in and keep warm. I do not cover the front of the kennel although you could I'm sure. I just prefer to keep it open. Have not had issues but when I did hunt the week it was negative 5-10 degrees I did have the dog ride in the truck that time just cus it was so incredibly cold out.

You say dog box cover so I am not sure if you are referring to a dog box or a plastic dog crate. For a plastic dog crate, all I can say is that I would not recommend ever putting a dog in the back of a truck in a plastic crate. Get a dog box. As far as buying a cover for plastic crate. it would be about equal to wrapping a blanket around it. I have a houndsmen deluxe from deer creek that is insulated. I have 2 pick ups and when it is cold I use the truck with the topper on it.

Last edited:
Back