Dog Boots

Anyone run dog boots? Never been to SD before, heading out there Nov 24-29. Dogs will be in good running shape but im debating on picking some boots up just to have if the dogs need them

Anyone run dog boots? Never been to SD before, heading out there Nov 24-29. Dogs will be in good running shape but im debating on picking some boots up just to have if the dogs need them

Not a bad idea. I guess it all will depend on how hard you will run the dogs. I carry boots all the time but generally don't have to use them until the snow is on the ground. Better to be safe rather than sorry. Once a dog's feet go bad it's hard to recover during the trip.

I carry dog boot as part of my med kit. I also sometimes boot my dogs early in the season when I am on a longer multi day hunt.

When you are going on an extended trip away from home, boots are often a good idea. If you are hunting all day long several days in a row, you dogs feet may not be ready for that, especially early in the season. The only thing worse than a hurt pad, is a hurt pad and not have boots to protect

Yes, dogbooties.com
A few different thickness boots depending what type of terrain your hunting. Make sure you buy extras. You will lose a few and will wear them out. Thats a good thing. Make sure you acclimate your dogs to them before your trip. Make sure you read and watch videos of how to put them on to best keep them from falling off. Get bright colored boots so when they do fall off you have a chance of finding them. Measure your digs feet properly.
One more thing- dont wait until your dogs have raw pads etc to put them on. Its too late at that point.

Have hunted SD for many years and never had a problem with my dogs paws, in any part of the state.

Once in a while snow collects between the toes...

For the most part you don't need dog boots in South Dakota. I've lived here for 37 years and have never used them. The only time I have felt a need is when we have snow that has a crust on it. Sometimes those little ice crystals will irritate and cut the webbing between the toes. But other than that you shouldn't need them. If you do buy some make sure you get your dog use to them prior to heading out.

If you are a non-resident on a multiple day hunt and don't have an excess of dog power I would make the investment and use them. As UplandHntr pointed out above dog booties are a great option. Pretty easy to figure out how to put them on (vet wrap & duct or electrical tape as the anchors) and so inexpensive they are almost disposable.

With long days & multiple days for the dog it isn't just about snow crust, pad cuts/damage etc. The prairie grass & marsh grass can be pretty abrasive over time and will wear on a dogs feet. Especially the area around the cuticle & nail. I've had dogs toes swell up badly around the nails after 3 or 4 days in the field.

It is really no different than any hard working dog that is willing to hit the thick cover and develops hot spots on the nose & face. The feet may take longer to show symptoms but they are subject to the same wear & tear.

Another tip for the hot spots. Use EMT Gel to treat the known places where they develop prior to starting the days hunt and also once they start to show up. It does wear off and can need a couple applications during the day but it does help and can save the dog some of the discomfort that comes with a long week in the cover.

I run them all the time, dog boots are cheap and no sore feet over 5 days!

Dogbooties.com I wont leave home without them.

I just use duct tape. I keep it in my vest and use it if needed. If it does not come off easily at the end of the day, pour a little water on it. It will come off by the time you reach your hotel.

Not a bad idea. I guess it all will depend on how hard you will run the dogs. I carry boots all the time but generally don't have to use them until the snow is on the ground. Better to be safe rather than sorry. Once a dog's feet go bad it's hard to recover during the trip.

I agree with BeirlSetters. I've never had any trouble with my goldens paws other than with ice/packed snow. That said, I am very diligent every time I stop to water the dog(s), that I check their pads. A couple of times each fall a cockleburr will end up in between the pads. Rarely does it bother the dog, but it can't feel very good.

Aside from that, whenever I see a dog with "booties" on, I think that is either a "city" dog or the result of a lost bet. :D

if u prairie grouse hunt or go west river pheasant hunting u mite run into cactus but ive never had issues outside of ice or crusted snow if u find a fallow area or overgrown weed patch near crops watch for burs not cockle burs that stick to dog i mean sand burs or what ever them nasty burs are called they hurt most dogs...

watch parking areas for broken glass...

dont let ur dog jump outta truck carry em down i hurt my dogs foot jumping outta a back of truck just a minor thing but could be bad...

I took dog boots with me and I needed them. I really like boots from dogbooties.com. They were cheap, easy to put on and I never had any issues.

Better to have them and not need them than not have them and need them.

I took dog boots with me and I needed them. I really like boots from dogbooties.com. They were cheap, easy to put on and I never had any issues.

Better to have them and not need them than not have them and need them.

this x2, my dog needed them after a couple days

Back