Do you or don’t you tip housekeeping?

carptom1

Over the years I have spent many a night in a hotel while hunting. While I try not to trash the rooms, after 3-4 days of hunting they can get pretty dirty between boots and dogs. The motel this last week was pretty full. I saw a couple dogs pee on the carpet in the hallway, I can’t imagine what went on inside. Dog crap all over everywhere. As I was leaving several rooms were being cleaned. As I walked by I noticed some looked like a frat party had occurred. Pizza boxes, beer bottles and other debris. I overheard several comments about the mess. I always leave a little something as I would hate hunting season if a worked there.

I always leave something for the cleaning staff. I usually tell the front desk I will make up the bed myself and pick up the room as well. As I leave in the morning I take the trash out to the door and they leave clean towels and such. Then when I leave to come home I leave $5.00 for every day there.

Over the years I have spent many a night in a hotel while hunting. While I try not to trash the rooms, after 3-4 days of hunting they can get pretty dirty between boots and dogs. The motel this last week was pretty full. I saw a couple dogs pee on the carpet in the hallway, I can’t imagine what went on inside. Dog crap all over everywhere. As I was leaving several rooms were being cleaned. As I walked by I noticed some looked like a frat party had occurred. Pizza boxes, beer bottles and other debris. I overheard several comments about the mess. I always leave a little something as I would hate hunting season if a worked there.
I've spent hundreds of night in motels.I tip, and look for motels with own outside doors.

Whole lotta pigs out there. It is one reason why motels often stopping allowing bird dogs in rooms.
It is amazing at times but I don’t know why I’m surprised. If my dog took a piss on the carpet I would go find someone, apologize and offer to clean it up. I saw two spots, and my dog stopped at the baseboard several times sniffing hard and I suspect there was more. All of this helps to perpetuate that we are bloodthirsty slobs.

When I lived back east and had to travel (long distances), we always brought gifts. Most of the time was real maple syrup, in pint and quart size. Landowners always got the quart size, and the pints were handed out as needed.

Back