Dinners served

Looks really good. Everything is better with bacon.
They were very good, just have to watch for flare ups. One Thanksgiving I did bacon wrapped pheasant and my son informed me the grill had flames coming out it. Needless to say our dinner was ruined.

I have an electric Masterbilt and it might be the worst smoker ever. It doesn't hold a steady temp, only goes to 190 degrees max, and doesn't really produce a good smoke. I use an external temp gauge to monitor the temp of the smoker and have resorted to using an A-Maze-N smoke maze with pellets to get a decent smoke.
I plan to upgrade to a Traeger next.

Get a 22" Weber Smokey Mountain. It can smoke anything and can make some great BBQ!
I've had mine for 16 years. Used to use it in BBQ contests. Great smoker and pretty reasonable. You can also cook some good BBQ on a basic Weber kettle grill. Just use the offset method. Coals and wood chunks on one side, meat on the opposite side.

Ther's some cool homemade ones around here. One of the coolest and simplest is they take and old fridge and put a hot plate in the bottom, drill some holes and smoke away.

1702556280339.jpeg
Here’s my attempt at smoked phez. Looks better than they tasted. Lotta BBQ sauce needed. My taste reflected my effort just put Honey Rub on from Butcher Block and smoked. I have Green Mountian Smoker. I think they are all about the same, you just gotta use it to figure them out. IMO Treager is taking advantage of their name now. In the box stores now and everyone calls a pellet smoker a Traeger. Good smokers just don’t think a guy needs to spend that much to get one. Pit Boss? I gotta couple buddies that have them and seem to be broke all the time, but I don’t know how they care for them. Key is keep them dry and clean and outta the weather. ND you have inspired me to try harder.

I've used my pheasant in shredded pheasant tacos, quesadillas, cheesy pheasant enchilada soup, smoked pheasant dip, deep fried pheasant tenders...etc.
Also have taken a chunk of pheasant, fold it over a slice of jalapeños and cream cheese....then wrap in bacon and grill. Quick little popper appetizer.

Attachments

• 10321.jpeg
    10321.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 6
I have been making fajitas with my birds the last couple of years. Really good. Did that our last night in South Dakota With birds killed. Everyone was happy. Good way to end the trip.

The saute pan you see cooking, I used 6 pheasants (12 breast pieces) diced to 1/2" pieces to feed eight guys. I used one large can of soup.

You can adjust the meat & soup amount and ingredients for how many people you feed. One night I had six guys so some was left over. I had it for lunch the following day and it was still great. I did add just a little liquid so it didn't stick in the pan. I put it on an English muffin.

The corn and potatoes helped to make a little larger recipe because I knew these guys would eat more.

I like to experiment with new stuff when cooking.

This is one I don't think can be screwed up :)

It was a winner! Lots of guys asked for the recipe.

Attachments

• IMG_3852.jpeg
    IMG_3852.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3849.jpeg
    IMG_3849.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
Ok I have to admit this was amazing. Browned flour covered pheasant chunks on the blackstone in a little oil. Sautéed some mushrooms, onions, fresh garlic and spinach in butter. Added some boiled down chicken broth and cream to make a sauce. Combined everything over a bed of Ziti with fresh Asiago cheese and a little parsley. Ummmhmmm

Btw I couldn’t stop eating the chunks as they came off the grill. I love them with a little dipping sauce

Attachments

• 030F16C5-BFEC-41FA-BDE5-BDD853E2EE6D.jpeg
    030F16C5-BFEC-41FA-BDE5-BDD853E2EE6D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 11
  • 8F086F09-8EAD-4B5A-9D90-B9E4BD1DD6E9.jpeg
    8F086F09-8EAD-4B5A-9D90-B9E4BD1DD6E9.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
Back