Dinners served

Pheasant stuffed with cream cheese and jalapeño Jam wrapped with thick applewood bacon. Homemade crab stuffed mushrooms with real crab. Pretty good meal to watch KU smack MU.
Nice! Living large.

Last edited:
Have not done this with pheasant but make pate out of all my woodcock breast, its very good.

Thanksgiving got me thinking about how we cook a turkey on the Traeger. I thought why not inject my pheasants with Garlic and Butter and seasoned the outside. So I did just that and I put them in a foil pan with a little apple juice to help keep things moist. I put on the Traeger and smoked at 180 for an hour. I turned the heat up to 300 and brought to an IT of 160 and wrapped in tin foil and let rest for 30 minutes. Not sure what the final IT was after that process but I am certain the IT continued to rise a few degrees to the desired 165. All I know is the meat was done and juicier than any other method of cooking pheasant I have tried. I then fillet off the breast bone and carved into pieces. I served with some Stove Top Stuffing because it was in the cupboard and I was hungry. Yummy!

Thanksgiving got me thinking about how we cook a turkey on the Traeger. I thought why not inject my pheasants with Garlic and Butter and seasoned the outside. So I did just that and I put them in a foil pan with a little apple juice to help keep things moist. I put on the Traeger and smoked at 180 for an hour. I turned the heat up to 300 and brought to an IT of 160 and wrapped in tin foil and let rest for 30 minutes. Not sure what the final IT was after that process but I am certain the IT continued to rise a few degrees to the desired 165. All I know is the meat was done and juicier than any other method of cooking pheasant I have tried. I then fillet off the breast bone and carved into pieces. I served with some Stove Top Stuffing because it was in the cupboard and I was hungry. Yummy!
I have done a similar process and it is good. Some type of juice is essential.

I have done a similar process and it is good. Some type of juice is essential.
I have done the same and yes very juicy and excellent best way to do the birds in my opinion, if you are doing whole skinless birds.1061.jpg

Well Remmi caused me to buy a grinder, now Tom's got me looking at smokers.. I got to get a grip..
A smoker is a must as well as the grinder, my next venture after pheasant burgers is pheasant brats!

When I was little and my dad pheasant hunted, he smoked all of our birds over hickory or applewood. Holy cow they were good. I don't have a smoker but I may need to try smoking one. That is one area of cooking I have little experience or confidence in, and I'd hate to screw it up and ruin a bird.

A smoker is a must as well as the grinder, my next venture after pheasant burgers is pheasant brats!
I really like making an italian sausage blend using pheasant and some ground pork. Meatballs are fantastic! It is amazing when added to gravy for biscuits and gravy. My daughter loves to add to a tuscana soup. Grinding it up into burger adds a lot of options.

Couple other ways I've fixed pheasant, brined the breast then added a rub and bacon wrapped, glazed some with a honey mustard. The bottom pic is smoked pheasant and wild rice soup.

20231123_114134.jpgpheasant soup.jpg

When I was little and my dad pheasant hunted, he smoked all of our birds over hickory or applewood. Holy cow they were good. I don't have a smoker but I may need to try smoking one. That is one area of cooking I have little experience or confidence in, and I'd hate to screw it up and ruin a bird.
Practice with a chicken

Any suggestions for someone looking to buy a smoker? I have guys at work who are part of the Traeger army but those seem more $$ than an nice gun. Any suggestions in a more reasonable price range?

Ive got a Pit Boss thats been pretty bullet proof so far. All digital but not the wireless models that are out now.

Any suggestions for someone looking to buy a smoker? I have guys at work who are part of the Traeger army but those seem more $$ than an nice gun. Any suggestions in a more reasonable price range?
Get a 22" Weber Smokey Mountain. It can smoke anything and can make some great BBQ!

Back