Deutscher Wachtelhun​d

Does anyone have any insight into this breed? I am considering getting a pup. If you have any info or have owned or hunted over the breed what were your thoughts or impressions? Thanks.

SallySue on here has one down in Texas. I think he's very happy with her, interesting dogs.

a German springer.
one of their traits is tracking wounded big game.
seems like their owners really focus on that aspect of their training.
all versatile hunting dogs are supposed to be able to track wounded big game, for recovery but it doesn't seem to come up that often in this country

a German springer.
one of their traits is tracking wounded big game.
seems like their owners really focus on that aspect of their training.
all versatile hunting dogs are supposed to be able to track wounded big game, for recovery but it doesn't seem to come up that often in this country

I really don't get how that makes a dog versatile. My springer can (and has) tracked wounded big game. Seems like any type of dog should be able to track with just a bit of training.

put another way: if we would kill the big game instead of wound it, it would be a lot easier to recover.
when we need the dog to track our wounded deer or elk, its not a happy day.
actually never had to do it.
seems like in researching this breed that was mentioned often,"tracking derbies or meets, field trials
the website hasn't been updated for a while, puppies aren't common it seems

put another way: if we would kill the big game instead of wound it, it would be a lot easier to recover.
when we need the dog to track our wounded deer or elk, its not a happy day.
actually never had to do it.
seems like in researching this breed that was mentioned often,"tracking derbies or meets, field trials
the website hasn't been updated for a while, puppies aren't common it seems

Agreed. I don't hunt big game but have been called out of desperation by friends to help find wild pigs a time or two.

Back