Deer Ticks

shorthairs4life

Has anyone else noticed an unusually high volume of deer ticks this season? It's rare I ever get any deer ticks on my dog but lately we've been flooded with them. After hunting yesterday, I pulled 31 deer ticks off my dog. Just want to see if it's localized or everywhere. If it's localized I will be making further drives to go hunting.

I've never seen one where I live or hunt. East central and Northeastern Minnesota and almost all of Wisconsin is prime territory though from reported Lyme disease cases.

Last edited:
None that I'm aware down here in the SW part of the State, but my Drathaar-owning friend up in Ashland County has said that it is not unusual to comb as many as 50 off her dog after a run on the ATV trail in the woods.

She medicates and combs and grooms and still, the pup was affected. Whole deal makes me very sad.

Also, makes me reluctantly refuse her offers to come up and Grouse hunt.

I haven't seen any news of a fool-proof remedy.

It seems like it (bad) luck of the draw.

Last edited:
Ticks

I've never seen them as bad. I pick them off the dog daily. Southern Wisconsin a bit north of Madison. Can't wait for a hard freeze.

Found one digging in behind my dog's ear yesterday. He picked it up in the back yard of all places.

They've been bad for the last few years, but I think with all the moister we've been getting this fall they're moving into areas they typically won't inhabit such as cut grass or higher upland cover/ground:confused: Just a theory.

Nick

Back