Deer hunting from a truck

Zeepo

I know its off the subject but on Saturady it was like a truck parade that were deer hunters. Does anybody hunt deer anymore from a blind? Everyone was driving around scoping, driving thru CRP ,crop fields, some on 4 wheelers driving thru pretty thick draws. We even saw people blocking for deer as we were walking down towards them. Then they asked where were we going next. I would stop by all of them and ask what you hunting, they would say deer, and I would say is it legal to hunt from a truck. They would drive off and stare at me like I was a smart a$$. What a pitiful sport the rifle deer season has become.

zeepo

Seems like lots of people like to hunt from a truck (roadhunt), or block when they see bird hunters anymore. It's quite sad how lazy these so-called hunters have become. I'm going to assume most of them didn't have a carcass tag either.

You see a ton of it around public land, especially half or whole sections, and public lake property. I seen people spotlighting a week prior to firearms even opening this year.

Yet another reason why we need more conservation officers, and another reason why I think county sheriffs should be cross-trained as conservation officers as well.

It would appear patience is a virtue that is no longer held in high regard by most folks... I'd hate to go fishing with these types of people :eek:

You got that right, and the sad thing is, it is most times local people in what ever state there from. See the same thing here with locals and ND was terrible when I was there during deer season chasing birds. They would pop em then drive out and load em up. They were crazy. I saw guys on an ATV once, 1 racing accross a field while the other sat on the front rack blasting. They scare me, no reguard for where there bullet goes.:eek:

You got that right, and the sad thing is, it is most times local people in what ever state there from. See the same thing here with locals and ND was terrible when I was there during deer season chasing birds. They would pop em then drive out and load em up. They were crazy. I saw guys on an ATV once, 1 racing accross a field while the other sat on the front rack blasting. They scare me, no reguard for where there bullet goes.:eek:

Yep, I too saw ND residents doing it in ND and yesterday I saw KS residents doing it in KS.....in fact, one was a brother of the guy we were hunting with. He's got permission all over so he drives from field to field, and through field after field until he's harvested his deer. We did see him out of his truck leaning against a hay bail, so that must have been the "roughin' it" portion of the hunt:rolleyes:

Only in the plains can you do that in the western part of the state.

And yes its petty sad. I use the truck, but its only till I spot some deer, then I park, glass them and put on a stalk. Its no fun jumping out of the vehicle and shooting a deer. You need to use a vehicle to drive around in the western part of the state where a deer may be 5 miles away one morning and 5 miles the other direction the next. (Not typical but it is once the crops are harvested, pheasant hunters are out and the morons are driving their trucks chasing them)

Many locals drive the CRP. Some of the good mulie walk ins I know of, my brother and I got out and walked on Saturday...there were tire tracks all over the damn thing....theres a huge draw you cant see from the crop road and the only people that would know about it would live there....they had criss crossed all over the thing trying to kick out the mulies from their beds. Ive personally shot at one of the biggest mulie bucks Ive ever laid eyes on near the area, so maybe hes still alive and they were looking for him. I can only hope if he was ever harvested it was in a moral way.

Their tactics only work for a while. Thats why in the later part of the season we have success getting deer where they dont think to look or drive. We've also been able to walk up to within about 100 yards of them in wide open milo fields but that has to be with literally 10 - 15 mins of day light left so they cant make you out...of course wind, body language etc have to be in order too. Funny how when a deer a half mile away spots your truck and then takes off...makes it easier for us when we're on foot and stalking the deer...they're not as jumpy.

I dont think most judges will care about people's tactics for hunting deer...there are too many, too many deer vehicle collision accidents and too many people that die trying to miss collisions right now. You're probably only going to get in serious trouble if you're using those tactics and shooting some horns, however the big bucks know where to hide or they wouldnt have gotten that big.

Not saying I condone their tactics, however the ranchers/farmers dont like them and they're going to have a lot of say on the local political climate. The KDWP and law enforcement needs to focus on the poaching of horns and morons like Dwight Krebs. Read this article and get an idea on what goes on out there. http://www.all-creatures.org/cash/taah-v-20040325.html

(edit: i just noticed the site I posted the link to is anti hunting but its the only thing I could find doing a quick google search that talked about the crimes Krebs commited...so please dont shoot the messenger)

From what ive heard the officer still in the area turned a blind eye to their operation even when it was reported to him multiple times. Funny how it took the feds to come in and investigate and shut it down. Funny how $$$$$$ will make people overlook things as well.

During pheasant season thanksgiving weekend, i noticed a plane doing some conspicuous flying. I didnt hear an air raid siren like Krebs used to use to herd the deer with his plane but it was fishy none the less.

Last edited:
Husker, I agree with you about the farmers/ranchers not liking the deer. The guys who let us pheasant hunt beg us to come out and shoot deer (which we have done a few times). I think the locals would like people to take as many as possible as long as it's not the big bucks they want to hunt themselves.

Most of these blocking/truck hunting morons probably didn't even realize the rut was really late this year (it may quite well be the dreaded "trickle rut" some have talked about, but whatever), and probably could have sat out for an hour just as easily, and got one.

I was hunting in the woods Saturday morning. Got set up around 6:10. Around 8:00 I see a doe approaching from the West. I noticed she kept pausing, and looking back. There was a buck about 50 yards behind her in hot pursuit. I've got the buck in the scope when he gets in range, and stops to tend a scrape on the way. He's got a tight set for antlers, which used to be an 8, but the main beam on his left was missing about half of it (which tells me a way bigger buck kicked his ass). Hopefully he'll be around next year, as well as his bigger cousin. I put the rifle down, and let him go for the year. Instead, I watch him with the binoculars. About 30 seconds later, someone shoots a mile or so South of me, and the buck and doe take off. That tells me someone has been shooting at them, probably more than once.

When the rifle season is in...I dont go out much...non-ethical so called hunters are in a different world. Ruins it for the guys would do it the right way. Dangerous as heck too...getting on my soapbox again...sorry

Back