DEAD Birds

BleuBijou

Talked to a guy out near Flagler, said he found 4 pheasants suffocated in a snow drift. Hope it is isolated. There is not great cover there.

Sadly, after last weekend I am betting there is plenty more:(

They hunker down and before they know it that darn snow gets so crusty they can't break-out!:mad:

Yep, I've run into a bit of that... Was out on Monday, my dog kept finding (and bringing me) dead ones with no shot in 'em. Had to have frozen/suffocated. Bummer.

You can still find their stuff online, but I dont know about them being opened or closed. Nothing agaist preserves, they just aint for me!

Did you guys get alot more snow out there than in Kansas? We hunted all over NW Kansas after the storm and we didn't run into any suffocated or frozen birds. I thought we probably would have and we hunted all types of areas and cover and didn't find any on the ground.

Lets hope for a nice thaw very soon.

Hopefully these are isolated incidents we are hearing about.

I was out this past Saturday (Holyoke area), and the birds were as jumpy as ever. Didn't see as many, but think that's because they were in the corn feeding. The snow drifts were worst on the north and west edges of the fields, and most of the cover had little to no snow in it.

I asked one of my buddies from the area if he thought the past storm hurt pheasant numbers. His reply was "the birds are fine, it's my wheat that I'm worried about." I guess the wind sandblasted the wheat for two days. He said it will still grow, but it definitely hurt it.

If you're wondering, we only came home with two pheasants. We should have had at least two more, but you know how that goes. We did see decent numbers of birds, but they love flushing out of range this time of year.

Boy, I sure hope so. I think we lost some that just did not make it to good cover in time.Some areas have birds, because of the good production year, that probably can not sustain birds in poor winter conditions. Glad you had fun Britt.:)

The birds are fine. You will probably find more frozen this year because there are still so many 1st year birds that haven't even seen a hunter b/c of all the standing corn that hung around. We dont want the ones that are dumb enough to die in a snow drift to spread their seed into next season anyway. I would venture to bet there are almost double the amount of pheasants that are going to hold over to next year. What we need to be concerned about is getting another wet spring. If we get the moisture like we did last year, next fall is going to be even better.

Back