Credibility ?

CRP

Amid the major recall of the new Remington Super-Max wonder shotgun, I still find magazines (GUNS/NRA Amer Hunter etc) extolling the virtues of these fine guns. It is nothing short of amazing how taking some writer's on a free Alberta duck/goose hunt can bring out the best in a crappy shotgun!

BTW, wasn't the Remington CT 105 NRA American Hunter's "shotgun-of-the year" winner? Those have really sold well too.

It grieves me to see such a fine american maker collapse to such a level. They haven't sent out a ready to market gun in a long time. Must be living on 1100's, 870's and 1187's. I used to shoot nothing else, wouldn't trust them now.

I won't defend Remington, but I will say that I own 2 CTI II's and they are two of the finest guns I have ever owned. I am not sure what it is with these guns, but my shooting percentage has gone way up. An example of this is my wife who has an 870 Wingmaster. When trap shooting, she could only get 5 at best out of 25, with the CTI II, she is a regular minimum 18 out of 25, and no, it's not gun fit because I have her guns custom fitted. You will hear that same story from many CTI owners. I do believe when the first CTI came out, their were problems with them, but many new guns have problems, it's not just Remington. I will always have a CTI II in my gun cabinet and I expect it to remain as my "go to" gun. I also have the new Versa Max, got a real sweet deal on a camo version. The gun appears to be very nice, a bit front heavy, but still very nice. It is a very close fit to the 870 Wingmaster. I have only run 2 boxes of shells through the Versa Max, and so far it has performed perfectly. I have run a combination of light target loads all the way to 3 1/2 inch premium, with no problems. If this gun continues to perform this way, I firmly believe Remington will have a real winner here. Just my take on the issue, and this comes from an actual owner, and not some "friend who has a friend who said that he heard" I would invite anyone on this forum to meet me at the gun range and shoot these guns for themselves and then form your own opinion. Sometimes I think it's too bad we have the internet, bad information travels just as fast as good information. Remington discontinued (CTI II), in my honest opinion, one of the finest guns they have ever made due to misleading and false information about this gun being posted on the internet. My personal experience with two of these guns has proven that every bad thing I read about them to be false. :):)

This post appears to me to be nothing more than an attempt to "Beat Remington up".

Last edited:
I bought a Remington semi-auto .22 to plink around with, new, shot it half a dozen times, around 100 rounds , with remington ammo, jammed approximately 10 times, firing pin repeatedly lacked the punch to fire a rimfire shell, final insult while clearing the jammed action the bolt release handle fell out of the bolt, along with several small attachments. Not being convinced I bought a Remington O/U, again new, the ejectors were mis-timed from the start, threw loaded shells out everytime. Had a stock like a 2x4, fit and finish extremely poor. Should I go back!

The CTI was not discontinued due to false information. It was because they didn't work! If you have one that does, thank your lucky stars. When others compare the new recalled Rem to a Browning Maxus or any Benelli, folks are buying everything but the Remmy.

My gunsmith friend (not heresay) has seen two come through and be sold at his shop. BOTH guns went back to Big Green with more problems than he could solve, and he has been in the bus for a long time.

Like it or not, the new Remington (post Ceberus) company is NOT the same. I know several (not heresay) "former" Remington buyers (870/1100/700) that will no longer buy any Remmy, which is sad.

Back