Crazy weather

most likely
Nope. Winter's over in MN. Get your boat and turkey hunting gear ready for spring.

El Nino is expected to stick around until early summer which means the same pattern will ensue until then. Cold air to the north, low pressure systems funneled to the south, and a stagnant mild air mass in between.

It does look more "seasonable" the second half of February in terms of temps, however.

Looks like winter is going to make a brief comeback in the next 5 days here. Potentially more snow by Tuesday than we've had the entire winter. Some may fall as rain or a rain/snow mix depending on where you're located. Any snow is going to be the heavy wet crap that's like trying to move concrete.

Guess I shouldn't complain too much. We're in dire need of moisture.

Looks like winter is going to make a brief comeback in the next 5 days here. Potentially more snow by Tuesday than we've had the entire winter. Some may fall as rain or a rain/snow mix depending on where you're located. Any snow is going to be the heavy wet crap that's like trying to move concrete.

Guess I shouldn't complain too much. We're in dire need of moisture.
It could have held off a few more days for me. I'm headed to east central Iowa tomorrow morning and back Sunday. I feel like I can complain some 😂

It could have held off a few more days for me. I'm headed to east central Iowa tomorrow morning and back Sunday. I feel like I can complain some 😂

In about a week its supposed to near 60 degrees again so whatever falls is gonna melt rapidly. Might want to check your sump pump!

I got about 2 inches over night too. To the north near St Cloud I heard about 5 inches. Hudson, WI is the big winner with 7.4 inches.

The area where we hunt is in the 15-23 inch range for snow - wow, crazy! Good thing is the moisture is definitely needed. But one question - does a spring storm with this much snow and wind affect the pheasants at all? Or won’t it affect them, especially with April just around the corner?

The area where we hunt is in the 15-23 inch range for snow - wow, crazy! Good thing is the moisture is definitely needed. But one question - does a spring storm with this much snow and wind affect the pheasants at all? Or won’t it affect them, especially with April just around the corner?
They're all happy as a clam right now. This moisture is a bonus.

Last edited:
A late spring Blizzard can and will kill pheasants for several reasons:

... birds have shifted out of their winter cover range and moved into less protective cover and the storm catches them in the open
... winter cover is already filled with snow and the next storm simply covers the last of the cover
... birds have suffered a long snowy and cold winter with almost no reserves left ... it simply overwhelms weak birds and kills them

The winter kill this year should almost be non-existent ... pheasants should get through this next storm fine

Back