Crate temperature monitor.

MetroGSP

Ordered a Gunner crate for my truck. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good temperature monitor set up? Not too worried about the cold, but would love to be able to monitor for the heat. Thank you.

I just bought a Sensorpush monitor for one of my kennels. I am running my Vizsla in upcoming hunt tests and plan on seeing how well it works. If I like it, I'll buy a second one. I am as concerned about cold weather as heat. I hunted in some awful cold weather this year and my Vizsla doesn't have much of a coat. I am planning on using velcro to attach to the inside of the kennel fwiw.

Can't go wrong with either listed. I use the Sensorpush for the dogs and in my gun safe (humidity). The only drawback is the Sensorpush is a little pricey...

Can't go wrong with either listed. I use the Sensorpush for the dogs and in my gun safe (humidity). The only drawback is the Sensorpush is a little pricey...
Price doesn’t bother me as much as usability. Do you have it set up as stand alone then? What’s the range on it? I’m thinking down the road when maybe a dog friendly hotel isn’t available. Or other similar situations? Did you Velcro it to your crate? I worry if my pup will leave it alone.

Not sure about max range.
My dogs stay in my truck bed with a topper when in SD. I hang the govee in my truck bed so I can monitor the temp when traveling or I'm in the motel, so from parking lot close to the room to my cell phone in the room, at least 30 feet. It also works when I'm on the road.
I have aux heat in my truck bed that allows me to keep the dogs at a comfortable temp even when outside its below zero.
This is the model I have. The one in my first post was incorrect. This is what I have

Govee WiFi Thermometer Hygrometer H5179 $40 on Amazon.​

It pairs very quickly with an iPhone. As with anything, range will very but block walls and plaster walls will limit range. I can have mine in a vehicle and usually still read the data in the room although sometimes I have to be near a window (block walls and distance limitations). I suppose I have been 40 to 50 feet away and in a room with success. The have a place to loop string or wire through and then maybe some kind of hanger in the inside of the kennel. I have kennel covers and place them outside the kennel and inside the covers. It might not be the most accurate reading but the temp will be a few degrees warmer in the kennels than what the sensor reads. I have been amazed how warm the kennels stay even when temps are in the teens. It has been years since I have been subjected to single digits so I cannot reference any data from those days.

Not sure about max range.
My dogs stay in my truck bed with a topper when in SD. I hang the govee in my truck bed so I can monitor the temp when traveling or I'm in the motel, so from parking lot close to the room to my cell phone in the room, at least 30 feet. It also works when I'm on the road.
I have aux heat in my truck bed that allows me to keep the dogs at a comfortable temp even when outside its below zero.
This is the model I have. The one in my first post was incorrect. This is what I have

Govee WiFi Thermometer Hygrometer H5179 $40 on Amazon.​

Thanks for the info. very helpful. Still experimenting as this is my first pup.

It pairs very quickly with an iPhone. As with anything, range will very but block walls and plaster walls will limit range. I can have mine in a vehicle and usually still read the data in the room although sometimes I have to be near a window (block walls and distance limitations). I suppose I have been 40 to 50 feet away and in a room with success. The have a place to loop string or wire through and then maybe some kind of hanger in the inside of the kennel. I have kennel covers and place them outside the kennel and inside the covers. It might not be the most accurate reading but the temp will be a few degrees warmer in the kennels than what the sensor reads. I have been amazed how warm the kennels stay even when temps are in the teens. It has been years since I have been subjected to single digits so I cannot reference any data from those days.
Thank you. Yeah. My pup is a little furnace, so with a cold weather kit he’ll probably be fine in most winter situations and any long distances on the road he’ll be in the cab if I have room for him anyway. My bigger worry is traveling in the summer and keeping him from overheating. Good news is most of the time we’re in the higher elevations on our trips, so it tends to be cooler except for midday anyway.

Why hasn't goose commented on the use of a crate as being inhumane for a dog yet?

Come to think of it, I haven't seen him post in a while. Course, he is a chinese bot so there's that.

I hunted in negative temps this year and one of my dogs hurt his feet on the ice and I had to leave him in the truck the last few days. I have a thermometer in my truck bed but I want to know the temps inside the kennel, going forward. Hot or cold, I want them comfortable and safe. I don't want something dangling and bouncing around so I'm going to velcro it to the inside top of the kennel and hope they don't notice it.

Sshh.... I have been trying to "lie low"

I have started paying the dog fee to bring my dogs in at nights quite often. They work so hard during the day it is hard for me to look them in the eye. Truly, during last falls trip, they did not want to get out of the kennel 2 of the nights so I walked back to the office to reclaim the room fee!

sensorpush X5

The nice thing about the sensorpush is you can set limits on it so whenever it senses temps above or below your limits it sends out a notification. The battery lasts a long time too.

I hunted in negative temps this year and one of my dogs hurt his feet on the ice and I had to leave him in the truck the last few days. I have a thermometer in my truck bed but I want to know the temps inside the kennel, going forward. Hot or cold, I want them comfortable and safe. I don't want something dangling and bouncing around so I'm going to velcro it to the inside top of the kennel and hope they don't notice it.
Just to be clear, my set up is not dangling or bouncing. Its zip tied to the truck bed and I do not believe there is any significant difference between the temperature in the dog box and the truck bed. The Govee also sends notification to my phone if the temps vary from the range set.

Just to be clear, my set up is not dangling or bouncing. Its zip tied to the truck bed and I do not believe there is any significant difference between the temperature in the dog box and the truck bed. The Govee also sends notification to my phone if the temps vary from the range set.
I have a sensor in my truck bed but I want something inside the dog box too. I mentioned the velcro because when I was researching temp monitors I read a different thread where someone had their monitor hanging inside the dog box off a hook or something. No way my GSP would tolerate that, so I decided to have mine more secure. Govee seems to be another brand that people like.

We used a govee mini in the camper shell on my truck on our trip to North Dakota last year. It worked pretty good but the range wasn’t that far. I would definitely mount it on something instead of hanging it. I had mine hanging from one of the clamps from the camper shell and after a month or two of it beating around it ended up coming apart and the battery and sensor fell out and couldn’t get it back working.

Having a Suburban with 2 crates inside, I worry about the temp inside while Im out of it instead of while traveling. Sometimes its impossible to leave one dog behind. Any ideas to monitor inside temp while a mile away from the truck?

Having a Suburban with 2 crates inside, I worry about the temp inside while Im out of it instead of while traveling. Sometimes its impossible to leave one dog behind. Any ideas to monitor inside temp while a mile away from the truck?
Not sure there is anything you can do, once you get past a certain distance away.

Back