Concerned

jeffslabs

Just returned from our annual trip. Would certainly like to post something positive, but that would be hard. Having hunted the field's around Mitchell for 20+ year's on private, and a few public area's the loss of habitat, and cover was very concerning. Completely understand the need to mow, and do what's needed to feed the livestock, and family. That combined with the drought has put the native pheasant population in a tough position. The bird's we did see were all large rooster's, not a hen in the bunch. Managed to put a few in the pouch, but hunted hour's and hour's, and mile's and mile's without a flush in area's we used to managed to put up a few. I think the dog was even getting a little worried. Let's pray for a mild winter, and good nesting condition's next spring. Good luck hunting gentlemen.

Just returned from our annual trip. Would certainly like to post something positive, but that would be hard. Having hunted the field's around Mitchell for 20+ year's on private, and a few public area's the loss of habitat, and cover was very concerning. Completely understand the need to mow, and do what's needed to feed the livestock, and family. That combined with the drought has put the native pheasant population in a tough position. The bird's we did see were all large rooster's, not a hen in the bunch. Managed to put a few in the pouch, but hunted hour's and hour's, and mile's and mile's without a flush in area's we used to managed to put up a few. I think the dog was even getting a little worried. Let's pray for a mild winter, and good nesting condition's next spring. Good luck hunting gentlemen.

The bad news is the loss of CRP and other habitat in that area and points east has put a permanent nail in the coffin I am sorry to say...better head west next time.

In my limited experience, drought years are very tough, but if you find good cover there will be birds. Trouble is, as you've said, is the lack of cover due to mowing and expanding fields, etc.. This was the case for our hunt this weekend in NC IA. In good cover we had birds. Poor cover none.

Couple hrs west the conditions were the same. Little huntable cover, decent winter cover, but a ton of birds young and old. We took many large roosters along with many young small ones. Probably saw several hundred hens. Flushed 3-4 hens for every cock.

i share your concern about good ol trusty s.d. it looks more like iowa every trip:(. doze out the fence lines, doze out the timber, tile ur azz's off and plant boys plant!!!:rolleyes: rest in peace the pheasant:thumbsup:

Ranger Rick, What was scary is even in a few area's of some thicker cover with a little water nearby nary a bird. Sound's like west is better.

Hunted 3 days on a mix of public/private in the Pierre/Vivian/Presho area that we've been huning for the last 5 years and had poor results.

Hunted 'til dark all 3 days and managed a limit on 1 of the 3.

The worst was an all day hunt with the 4 of us, and, 6 decent dogs, and we managed 4 pheasants and a chicken, in the same area we had limited out in a few hours in years past.

The cover looked okay, not as bad as I anticipated, the stock ponds were holding a little water, and most/all of the crop was out, but, tough hunting nevertheless.

Kinda mentioned this in another thread. Winter is going to hurt. The worst part will be later in the season. People that dont know better will shoot the birds out of the shelter belts in the evening on freezing nights and birds will die/freeze trying to get back to the shelter. Dont hunt shelter belts on really cold nights, let the birds get back in there before dark and live.

Key word so far-water. Hunted first five days of the season and we did quite well for our group of six. Birds are within 100 yards of any water source. We would surround dugouts and pinch them and there were anywhere from five to 20 birds near the dugouts. Headed back out to hunt along "The Jim" (James River). I expect there were be birds near the river.

Same poor report here. Just returned from a 5-day Public Land hunt near Pierre and only 5-roosters to show for extreme effort. All roosters I shot were older (half-inch, white tipped spurs). Lots of dogs on the ground, so nose power wasn't the issue.

Drought impact looks devastating to the land and the wildlife. I can see where pheasant chicks would have to cover several hundred yards of open ground (formerly submerged) to get water and be totally exposed to predators.

Tough hunt, but my 9-month old Brittany had a few points and I shot 2-birds over him. A small victory considering. Hopeful for a mild, yet moist winter to get back to normal for 2013.

Same poor report here. Just returned from a 5-day Public Land hunt near Pierre and only 5-roosters to show for extreme effort. All roosters I shot were older (half-inch, white tipped spurs). Lots of dogs on the ground, so nose power wasn't the issue.

Drought impact looks devastating to the land and the wildlife. I can see where pheasant chicks would have to cover several hundred yards of open ground (formerly submerged) to get water and be totally exposed to predators.

Tough hunt, but my 9-month old Brittany had a few points and I shot 2-birds over him. A small victory considering. Hopeful for a mild, yet moist winter to get back to normal for 2013.

My hunting partner, and I said the same thing. With so little cover it could be a smorgasbord for all predator's. Congrat's to the young Brit.

Looks like a lot of folks struggled this year:(. We hunted Pierre area and had a great hunt on private lands, 8 guys 4 days of limits and managed a few sharpies as well. Water was what we targeted and did not hunt areas not holding water as we figured it would be limited success with the dry conditions. We saw a ton of hens and birds shot were a mix of young and old roosters. Managed a coyote down as well, doing what we can to help! Pray for rain!!:)

Back