C'mon -- let's hear some reports

ness

I hunted opening weekend up in Atchison County. No animals were injured in the process. Did see a bunch of hens, but only one rooster. Didn't hunt the quail habitat, but I'm hearing enough good reports to think things are better this year.

So -- anybody have anything to talk about? Surely somebody hunted Bilby at least?

Last edited:
Hunted 2 times in NW MO, private ground. Got into one small covey near Bethany and one enormous covey in Atchison Co. Took 1 bird out of the small covey and didnt chase singles due to size. Missed on the rise with the enormous covey and chased singles through a wooded thicket but couldn't get a clean shot on any of them in the woods. Huge birds both times.

picture.php

Last edited:
Hunted Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon past Holiday. Varied success. Got into pheasants way up north and averaged 1.5 hours per covey flushed. Most quail were in west central part of state, smallest was 11-12 birds a couple 20 plus birds. Monday lucked into 3 coveys in 1.5 hours for an old fashioned melee with the puppy, ended with 4 birds and some good training related to steadiness. 1/2 total coveys pointed, the pup runs through them barking and chasing, but he definately scatters the singles and is learning fast to work them. Another 6 weeks and it's back to training. Partner schooled me with his lab on Friday with roosters they still play the same late season games.
Good shooting

Yeah he's versitile, killed his first possum Saturday and kept retrieving it to me and setting at my feet. Very proud of himself, and confused when I said good boy and then told him to leave it. Started pointing rabbits and then caught him catching and eating some little voles or mice in the bean fields. Thought he was just mousing, but no, really snacking. He's very birdy though I'm sure, he just needs to develop his cool. The last W/C we put up down here was 3 days after your report , which would make 100 miles a day their flight time. I don't know how they fed during the cold snap.

latest report, no ducks and too muddy to hunt this morning. it is MUDDY, could even say it's flooded here. Hoping for another cold snap to freeze things up.

I decided to try Truman Lake again after not hunting there for 10 years.

Found a couple of covies in a couple hours.

Great looking habitat.

I will probably go back before season ends.

Yeah, I've been thinking about hitting a close-by reservoir. Yogi Bera comes to mind: nobody hunts there anymore because it's too crowded.

Hunted one on the KS side a couple weeks ago, and saw birds flush wild.

I've made it out 2 more times since my last post and have gotten 2 pheasant and some quail. I'm really happy with the numbers this year! My last hunt the birds were flushing real wild. This guy made the mistake and sat tight. The season is moving fast, but hoping to get out a few more times.

20141213_113219_zps58d48beb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

quail seem up

Hunted a farm in NE MO where I historically find pheasants and used to always find a covey or two, but have seen no quail for the past 2 years. I was pleasantly surprised to find a big 30 bird covey and a 10 bird covey and one rooster. Quail seem to be on the upswing despite one of the tougher winters in years last year.

Hunted a farm in NE MO where I historically find pheasants and used to always find a covey or two, but have seen no quail for the past 2 years. I was pleasantly surprised to find a big 30 bird covey and a 10 bird covey and one rooster. Quail seem to be on the upswing despite one of the tougher winters in years last year.

Sounds like a great hunt! I too have seen a lot of quail this year it seems they have rebounded nicely this year. Let's hope for a mild winter and favorable spring conditions. I'd love to see another solid hatch in 2015. I plan on going out one or two more times before our season ends. Good luck the rest of the season everyone.

Good Sunday

Went out late Sunday morning not expecting much. Surprisingly, got into two coveys, one was over thirty birds. Then had two roosters hold tight, flush and meet their maker. I was quite pleased for it being so late in the season and only hunting for a few hours!

Wow, that must have been an awesome hunt! Was that on private or public land? Either way a great hunt, but just curious.

That's great to hear. I've gotten 3 roosters and about 10 quail on public this year. It's been a lot of fun this year. Nice looking dogs by the way!

So far thus year, 6 roosters and 13 quail. Haven't been hunting quail too hard. Looks like we have a good breeding population finally. If weather cooperates, next year a guy might average 3 or 4 quail a day.

Christmas eve dog points sixty yards from truck. Four or five roosters get up. Shot one. Looking for it another gets up and I did not have a live shell in the barrel. Memory from this year will be Champ's point on those roosters. Never seen her so intense.

I think I'm up to 5 roosters and will have to count the quail in the freezer. I don't know about you guys but I have been getting into some of the biggest coveys I have ever seen in my lifetime. My dad says it's nowhere close to the hay days of the 60's and 70's but has been a lot of fun this year. Maybe next year I will shoot some trap before the season so I can better my average from 1:5 to 1:4.

Quail seem to be up

Hunted 3 hours yesterday in NE Missouri. Found one 20 bird covey and a 15 bird covey. Shot one bird from each covey. Today I hunted for 3 hours and found one 10 bird covey, chose not to shoot. I am pleasantly surprised by bird numbers this season.

Well, I decided to head to public land in the northwest for one last hunt of the season. Surprisingly, I saw 15 - 20 pheasant (mainly hens, but a couple could not be clearly identified), but thankfully 2 held just a bit too long on that cold and windy day. This was my 7th year hunting upland birds and by far the best I've seen. These two were my first ever January pheasant. Already looking forward to the 2015 season!

imagejpeg_2_zps1d2d9d05.jpg

Back