Clay target throwers

gcoach

Looking to see if any of you use your own clay target throwers. I'm looking at buying something but don't really know how well they work and if they are worth the money. I know Cabela's and Gander Mtn. have several types. Anyone have any feedback about them? Hand throwers, single throwers, etc.

We have the electric do-all traps with a remote, throws targets about 70 yards, they slow fairly quickly, it is a little touchy to keep tuned. Kids can burn through a ton of ammo and bio-degradable white flyers when it's running right! Has a 50 target autoloader, and the electric pushbutton remote launch is nice. If you buy a manual unit you will not use it a lot, or at least not a lot at a time, in my experience, as it looses it charm quickly and becomes tedious, unless you have a trap boy! If I had a good trap boy, personally I'd use live pigeons, like the old days!

dont make the mistake in getting the hand thrower unles the shooter is looking the oposite way you are suposed to be throwing

THats good advice from both old and new and gcb. good throwers are not cheep and require constant mantaining. Keep them out of the weather in a flood free place. You might be better off looking into joining a local trap and skeet club. If for no other reason than cheep ammo. let us know what you end up doing.:)

I picked up a thrower from Cabela's about five years ago that has held up well. Its one of the foot release throwers so I can go and shoot by myself. Its worth looking at if you don't always have a partner to shoot with.

I just use a hand trower. I like the challenge, can throw it faster, with a curve or slice, skyhigh or just grazing the grass.

I've a couple of the red plastic hand throwers as well as one of the manual mechanical throwers. Its the one that is mounted on a frame with a seat. While its not as nice as an electric thrower, it was a lot cheaper and not bad to use. At my dads place, we've got a manual one, kind of sits on a triangular frame thing. I lag-bolted it on a long 2x12. Park a truck tire on the 2x12 to keep it from shifting around. We've burned a lot of shells and littered the field with a lot of lead over the years at his place. They're all pretty simple and bullet proof, talking of the manual ones.

The only "hand thrower" worth a darn is the red one made by MTM. If you have a smooth throwing motion, the birds fly like pitched out of an electric trap.

As for electric traps, I looked over the basic entry-level models and they all looked like junk. I ended up buying a Champion SST model. It is not cheap, but is built with commercial grade parts. It has a 100ft cord with foot control and 50-bird rack, so you can move around and throw targets by yourself (if required).

Back