choice of chokes in O/U

BirdmanMI

I have been using a 20 gauge over and under for many years for pheasants. I use three inch shells. I also have a 12 gauge Beretta 686 that I use occasionally, but I prefer the 20 Orion because of weight. My question for all the other over and under crowd is, what are your choke tubes that you use? I have had fairly good success with skeet over improved but I am curious to the opinions of others. Thanks, John

I would bet you are hunting over a pointer with that combination and most of your shots are fairly close range. I hunt with flushers and use IC, Mod early season and switch to Mod, Full for late season when the birds are wilder and have thicker feathers.

Jerry

Use IC/Mod in my Ruger with #5 for first and #4 for second. We use flushing dog primarily but sometimes get to go with friends pointer nice to mix it up a bit.

In South Dakota, i run light mod in lower barrel and mod in top barrel, shoot 2 3/4 b/p shells in 5's, works well for my 20ga.

Hunt have a Drahthaar and a GWP and my first shot is almost always < 30 yards and usually much less, so in my 12 gauge OU it's SK & IM. In my 16 it's a tight IC & IM, but I could go looser in that first barrel. It's fixed, so I'd need a gunsmith to open it, and it throws pretty good patterns now with an ounce of 6's.

Last edited:
John
Sounds like you know what works for you.

For me, my 20ga gun shooting on roosters is with whatever fixed choke the gun has. I really haven't hunted roosters with my pointer, mainly just my Lab. I have a few 20 ga guns I've used with chokes from LM/IM to sk/M and IC/M to M/F. I used 2 3/4" 1 oz #5 shot. All combinations worked well as long as the shots were within range.

I'm assuming your 20 ga. Orion came with IC, Mod & Full. You can't go wrong with IC/Mod. If you feel the need for a tighter pattern you can go Mod/Full. This is all assuming you are shooting lead shot. If you are using steel then use nothing tighter than IC/Mod. My personal preference in the sub gauges like the 20 is lead #6 shot due to pellet count. 5's are okay but I would not use anything larger, again due to pellet count. Good luck.

IC and mod, no. 5s mostly, shooting a 12 ga. Browning 625 Citori. Go to mod and full late season or when windy. Always 2 3/4" shells.

I/C and Mod in a Berreta. I almost always use #5 shot. I don't change for late season but might try it with all the guys here who say they switch. I also use the same combo in my 16 gauge which I mostly use at the game farms.

12g----IC and MOD, #6's 1 1/4oz for early season.

Late season I will change to #4's. Also sometimes I go to 1 3/8 oz shot.

pretty only shot 2 3/4 inch shells.

I leave same chokes for early and late season hunting.

I used IC/Mod which seems to be in the lead on this thread. I used to go back and forth between 4s and 6s before splitting the difference and going with 5s. To be honest, I think too much conjecture over choke choice and shot size is counter productive by putting too much crap too think about in my already foggy brain.

If I have a choice , IC/MOD chokes.
If I don't then I don't worry about it!:D
My favourite pheasant gun is CYL/CYL
DT

OK,
Here is a twist, at least for me. This year we may hit some waterfowl areas that require non-toxic. What chokes do you-all recommend when shooting steel in a 20ga? As a note my O/U is 2 3/4" shells only.
Thanks in advance.
Wolf

IC/MOD Trulock Precision Hunters are what I keep in my 20, steel, bismuth, nickle plated or copper plated lead, doesn't matter it patterns it all really well.
For geese and ducks in 2 3/4" I use federal Premium 2's but prefer 4's over the decoys:)
DHT

I want to thank all of you for the input. We made our trip to SD the first week of November and I used IC/MOD and shot the best I have in years....I also shot a lot of clay birds this year also. Just like golf, a little practice I think goes a long ways, especially as I get older:)

Ic/mod

I agree with many of the others and I shoot IC/MOD in both my O/U and SxS. If I'm carrying an autoloader I will shoot IC early season and as the birds get more educated and flush sooner I will switch it up to MOD.

Back