Changing dog food

Mosby

I've decided to change my dog food for this season. I've been feeding PPP Salmon & Rice 30/20 which is now up to almost $70 a bag for 33 lbs. I like to buy several months worth of dog food before the season starts, so I don't have to mess with it during the season and over the winter but I decided to look around and compare before I bought any more.

My dogs have done well on it but not much value at $70 a bag, Went to Game Fair in MN over the weekend and talked to a few different dog food reps. Got samples and did the usual comparisons. Dogs would probably do well on any of them but I've decided that I'm switching my dogs to Inukshuk 30/25.

I have found Inukshuk 30/25 for $50+/- a bag. More calories and fat per cup than the PPP, quality food and same size bag. A trainer working with my young Vizsla has been feeding it to her GSP's and recommended it highly. Not as convenient as the Purina to buy locally but I have found a couple of sources and I can always order from Chewy in a pinch. Not all about the money but if I can save a couple hundred on food it pays for a case of ammo at no cost to my dogs.

I got a list of sellers off the company website, talked with a couple sellers and quite honestly was surprised that I could get Inukshuk at such a reasonable price point. If you're thinking about changing dog food you might look beyond Chewy and consider checking out Inukshuk and local re-sellers. I was pleasantly surprised and made it an easy decision for me.

I wish I could find it for 50 dollars a bag. I feed marine 16 and am getting ready to switch back to marine 25, Innukshuk weighs more per cup so there are fewer cups per pound and fewer cups per bag. But it’s great food and my dogs energy goes to whiole nother level on marine 25. But you won’t save any money on it at chewy prices.

My old standby is now $90 a bag and we have 2 dogs. Been thinking of changing to something cheaper.
I decided to make a change now....well before the season to give the dogs time to transition over. I'm blending it right now with no problems.

Made the switch to Black Gold performance and anyone looking to make a change that has a source close to them I would recommend it. Dogs have loved it so far. The quality control is excellent as there is never hardly ever a broken piece when I dump the bag in to my feed tub and no crumbles or powder. Buying it locally from a guy that has multiple dogs doing various hunt tests and the price is about 80 cents a pound currently and sounds like it is gonna stay there.

I know dog food prices have almost doubled. I used to think that if you could buy a good quality food for $1 per pound that wasn't too bad. Not it's about $2 per pound. I feed my Brittany PPP and a 35 lb. bag is currently right at $70. But that bag lasts over 3 months so my monthly cost for dog food is only about $20. My dog likes that food and is extremely healthy so I see no reason to change. However, I understand that you guys with multiple dogs are probably looking for a less expensive alternative. Just don't sacrifice quality.

Just bot 66 lbs of Inukshuk for $100…think I’ll be sticking with it…reseller is very nice. Using the 26/26...will add the 30/25 to the mix soon…

The price for PPP is part of why I switched to Victor. My dog just stopped eating it after the formula change was the main reason.

The price for PPP is part of why I switched to Victor. My dog just stopped eating it after the formula change was the main reason.
I made the same switch to victor this spring for the price and availability… works great so far, will see how well they maintain weight this winter

I made the same switch to victor this spring for the price and availability… works great so far, will see how well they maintain weight this winter
QN... I typically switch from Professional in the summer months to Hi-Pro Plus during the hunting season. I am going to keep him on Professional initially to see how he does. Since I had him fixed, keeping weight has not been an issue. :(

FWIW, when looking around I considered several different brands of 30/20 dog food and compared kcal per cup between them. Local availability and price were the other. I honestly didn't spend much time looking at ingredients.

Here are the primary dog foods I considered before changing , if anyone is interested:

- Inukshuk 30/25: 578 kcal
- Victor Hi Pro Plus 30/20: 406 kcal
- PPP Salmon & Rice 30/20: 527 kcal
- Nurtisource Performance 30/20: 488 kcal
- Native 3 30/20: 440 kcal
- Eukanuba 30/20: 447 kcal
- Kinetic 30/20: 462 kcal

I have a small GSP and a Vizsla. I normally feed the same dog food year round. I just adjust the amounts given up or down.

IMO all these brands are of similar quality. Some are more expensive than the PPP I was feeding and that took them out of the running quickly. I decided the Inukshuk at $50 a bag was a good value compared to the PPP Salmon & Rice I was feeding and provided the savings I was looking for. YMMV

I like it so far, we started to ramp up our conditioning for the season in the last couple weeks. I switched to high pro august 1 to get ready for more calorie burn, so far so good.

I have used Iams for 20 years or more. I suppose not the brand heavily marketed to the outdoorsmen, but it works for us. My dogs hunt hard and have lived very long lives.

Lamb and Rice and Senior versions. L&R is 26/14 with kcals around 382 and 24/10 349 on the senior. I like this food because it keeps them lean year-round without changing brands.

During training or during hunting season I supplement with 80% lean burger, rice and/or eggs. It has done amazingly well for my dogs.

FWIW, when looking around I considered several different brands of 30/20 dog food and compared kcal per cup between them. Local availability and price were the other. I honestly didn't spend much time looking at ingredients.

Here are the primary dog foods I considered before changing , if anyone is interested:

- Inukshuk 30/25: 578 kcal
- Victor Hi Pro Plus 30/20: 406 kcal
- PPP Salmon & Rice 30/20: 527 kcal
- Nurtisource Performance 30/20: 488 kcal
- Native 3 30/20: 440 kcal
- Eukanuba 30/20: 447 kcal
- Kinetic 30/20: 462 kcal

I have a small GSP and a Vizsla. I normally feed the same dog food year round. I just adjust the amounts given up or down.

IMO all these brands are of similar quality. Some are more expensive than the PPP I was feeding and that took them out of the running quickly. I decided the Inukshuk at $50 a bag was a good value compared to the PPP Salmon & Rice I was feeding and provided the savings I was looking for. YMMV
Curious how much do you feed your dogs a day? Number of times a day you feed them?

Curious how much do you feed your dogs a day? Number of times a day you feed them?
Out of season, I feed my dogs twice a day. When they are training and/or hunting I switch them to once a day. My GSP is small and she normally eats about 2 to 2.5 cups a day. If she is going hard, I will try to get her up to 3 cups but she'll get sick if I over feed her. My young Vizsla is training for fall hunt tests and he is eating once a day right now and getting a hefty 3 cups but will normally leave some in the bowl. He's a large 60 lb Vizsla but isn't a big eater for his size.

Out of season, I feed my dogs twice a day. When they are training and/or hunting I switch them to once a day. My GSP is small and she normally eats about 2 to 2.5 cups a day. If she is going hard, I will try to get her up to 3 cups but she'll get sick if I over feed her. My young Vizsla is training for fall hunt tests and he is eating once a day right now and getting a hefty 3 cups but will normally leave some in the bowl. He's a large 60 lb Vizsla but isn't a big eater for his size.
I feed once a day year round, always in the evening… usually increase serving size soon as we kick the year off. Always try to add water for hydration and ease of digestion in season

Back