Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

bauerline

It seems that the worst pest I have that take out my quail that I have in a johnny house are the @#!# cats. A property near by feeds the cats but they come and look at the quail like its a buffet. I see hawks flying around, hear the owls and know there are foxes but its the cats that do the most damage. Hate them!

I'm with on that one. Cat's can be quit a nuisance.

Something that may make you be thankful for the cat problem is that your issue is not mink.:D

I talked with a friend earlier in the week who lost 2,000 birds to a mink this past spring.:eek:

It seems that the worst pest I have that take out my quail that I have in a johnny house are the @#!# cats. A property near by feeds the cats but they come and look at the quail like its a buffet. I see hawks flying around, hear the owls and know there are foxes but its the cats that do the most damage. Hate them!

cats kill everything they can catch and they are really good at it. not many in my area very long after spotted. they should not leave the house, once they do that get wild then they come on my land they are in trouble. dont get me wrong my wife has 3 of them but they stay in the house.

Get a good rat terrier or fox terrier. They do a number on cats.

I have a person I know that that keeps buying cats, then just gets a real kick out of watching them kill Ruff grouse on the edge of his yard, rabbits, song birds, squirrel's, Etc. I Tell him they get shot at my place. He goes into, it's just a ^&^%$ Grouse, who cares. I have a very hard time with his approach to keeping control of his pets.

Fox have been my problem with my pen raised birds. They have killed between 60 and 100 birds this year. I see fox evertday

Last edited:
[/QUOTE] I Tell him they get shot at my place. He goes into, it's just a ^&^%$ Grouse, who cares. I have a very hard time with his approach to keeping control of his pets.

Fox have been my problem with my pen raised birds. They have killed between 60 and 100 birds this year. I see fox evertday[/QUOTE]

2 things- if you can, unless you have to worry about your dogs, set out traps. I would catch the neighbors cats all the time.

Why wait till they come to you??? ;)

I Tell him they get shot at my place. He goes into, it's just a ^&^%$ Grouse, who cares. I have a very hard time with his approach to keeping control of his pets.

Fox have been my problem with my pen raised birds. They have killed between 60 and 100 birds this year. I see fox everyday

2 things- if you can, unless you have to worry about your dogs, set out traps. I would catch the neighbors cats all the time.

Why wait till they come to you??? ;)

I have a person I know that that keeps buying cats, then just gets a real kick out of watching them kill Ruff grouse on the edge of his yard, rabbits, song birds, squirrel's, Etc. I Tell him they get shot at my place. He goes into, it's just a ^&^%$ Grouse, who cares. I have a very hard time with his approach to keeping control of his pets.
I'm always blown away by how people don't seem to see anything wrong with letting cats roam. I've even known people who won't eat meat, but have no issues with letting their cats run and bring home dead animals to the porch step. How did cats become the one animal that's acceptable to allow roam and kill anything?!
Fox have been my problem with my pen raised birds. They have killed between 60 and 100 birds this year. I see fox evertday
If you see them every day, I'm assuming you lack state laws allowing you to protect the birds on your farm? Otherwise I'd assuming you'd start seeing fewer as time went on ...

Can't set traps, we raise bird dogs and to hard to keep them out of them. A good flashlight and a shotgun with #4 Buck works as well as anything, along with a rabbit distress call.

I may be misinformed, but as I recall, cats are one of the few critters who kill instinctively, for no purpose except as a response to a stimulus. So a well-fed cat is always willing to kill songbirds, quail...etc. It's not like the domestic dog "pack instinct" killing sheep one after the other because they run, but stalking, pouching, playing and killing.

If my recollection is correct, that leaves one solution available, and I don't see it being havahart traps.

Best wishes. Be circumspect if you think your solution might put you in hazard.

(was that vague enough? :) )

Last edited:
I may be misinformed, but as I recall, cats are one of the few critters who kill instinctively, for no purpose except as a response to a stimulus. So a well-fed cat is always willing to kill songbirds, quail...etc. It's not like the domestic dog "pack instinct" killing sheep one after the other because they run, but stalking, pouching, playing and killing.

If my recollection is correct, that leaves one solution available, and I don't see it being havahart traps.

Best wishes. Be circumspect if you think your solution might put you in hazard.

(was that vague enough? :) )

Wolves kill for sport also, Fox will kill far more then then need if killing is easy. Seen a fox kill 60 birds in one night

Thanks for the tips. I think this problem will get taken care of one way or another. I do have some live traps set up in the area so I'll see what happens.

Live trap 'em and then tend to them. May catch a skunk or coon too. we have tons of coyotes and foxes that are getting our grouse.

we have tons of coyotes and foxes that are getting our grouse.
I disagree. Habitat is the root cause of the problem. In proper habitat, the size of coyotes and even foxes would prevent them from having a significant impact on the grouse population. People stand around watching the trees grow up without resetting succession and wonder where the grouse are going ... much like pheasants as well!

I disagree. Habitat is the root cause of the problem. In proper habitat, the size of coyotes and even foxes would prevent them from having a significant impact on the grouse population. People stand around watching the trees grow up without resetting succession and wonder where the grouse are going ... much like pheasants as well!

predator control is very crucial. in the old days when trapping helped pay the bills the trapper helped keep the fox and yotes in check. the fur market died in the 80s and not profitable so not many run a trap line. fox and yotes multiply rapidly and compete for the next meal. ground birds are an easy target. cats really do a number on song birds as well and kill anything they can catch. habitat is a must but so is predator control. my 2 cents;)

Box traps work well. I live in a residential area & am surrounded on 3 sides by folks who have "outdoor cats" (2 toms on 2 sides & FIVE behind me!). My yard became "No Cat's Land" & was constantly the prize in a territorial dispute. I spoke with all of the owners, but only one family is keeping theirs indoors now. One got a citation for allowing his cats to destroy my property (flowers) & for crapping on my property (yes, we DO have a cat ordinance; I took pics with my trail cam, so there was no "he said, she said."). The neighbors don't talk to me anymore, so it was a win/win all the way around. When I trap strays, well, they just leave. When I trap pets/collared cats, I either soak 'em down with the hose, which has proven sufficiently traumatic to keep them away OR . . . I put a few drops of skunk or coyote scent on 'em & release "kitty" to go home thru the dog/cat door to share the hazards of nature with the owners . . . there IS some vicarious satifaction & a reckoning in the scent approach (if I'm inconvenienced, then the irresponsible cat owners are also going to be inconvenienced . . . I bet bathing a cat is tons of fun!). After a couple skunkings, the folks next door suddenly decided to keep theirs indoors. Works for me . . .

OH God here is the cats thread again. I love the little furry things, please don't hurt one, I will cry.:rolleyes:

NOT!!!!!!:D I think box 220 conni bears with fish, smelt especialy work great. It will get them over night. You will rid your trouble quick. OP you can use them if you be smart about it. Set them at night and just saftey switch them during the day, cover them with a plywood box or spring them in the morning before the hounds go out. Your cat trouble will be gone quick in a couple days and put them away. I catch them over night every time. End of problem. When one pops back up I simply repeat. One time I caught 13 in a row for another guy that thought coon were eating his minnows every night. After that he never lost a minnow and peace followed on the Lake Ida fishing hole.:thumbsup:

I love koja48's approach with the scent treatment. Hilarious and a great example of American ingenuity!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back