Cabins: Pre-fab or kits

southernblues

So we lost our family farmhouse to a fire about 10 yrs ago. Parents live in town now and we rent out the tillable ground to neighbor. About 300 acres total with about 150 in pasture/timber/CRP land. I've been researching different cabin options to build on the property for hunting excursions and long weekends. My job is virtual so as long as my broadband card will work I could even deer hunt through the week (our farm is about 70 miles from where I live) and get away with wife and kids. I like the quaint and simple cabins that KS Dept of Wildlife and Parks is using at the state parks:

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/St...ers/Areas/Toronto-Point/Whispering-Oaks-Cabin

I've heard that some of these were built by those in the prison system as a work-share type job. Anybody know of good outlets where a guy could get a simple floor plan or kit?

Southern,

Cabela's has a nice cabin kit. My buddies built one. Doesn't come with alot of insulation so be aware of that. Nice log cabin though.

Most lumber yards will have plans now since that is a great way for them to sell their product.

Don't know if you have Menards there but there have a book shelf with tons of plans.

Don't rule out garages and pole sheds as they typically run cheapest and have more maint free exteriors.

Sounds like a fun project!

Neighbor kid down the street built a 30 x 40 garage with a Mother -in-law suite on top, it is a two bed rooms and two baths one down stairs in the garage area the other in the main living area.
The place cost him less than 30,000 to build but he added extras like he completely bricked the whole thing and put a wrap around porch on it I will get pics when I go for my walk tonight.

All right SB here you go could not get pics of the back to muddy and their dog was out.

Ok I have been straighten out about the price of this house I talk to the kid's dad on how much the house really cost. A lot of the materials and labor were so called donated by his Grandpa's business (masonary contractor) if you total up the free stuff he was guessing around $75,000, I said that is a hell of alot more than 30 thou.
So sorry about the misleading you S.B. I was looking into buying some land in southern Mo. and putting a cabin similar to this kids house or apartment, well maybe next year.

Ok I have been straighten out about the price of this house I talk to the kid's dad on how much the house really cost. A lot of the materials and labor were so called donated by his Grandpa's business (masonary contractor) if you total up the free stuff he was guessing around $75,000, I said that is a hell of alot more than 30 thou.
So sorry about the misleading you S.B. I was looking into buying some land in southern Mo. and putting a cabin similar to this kids house or apartment, well maybe next year.

No worries my friend. Good luck on the SW MO property. We just relocated back to KS from Springfield area (10 yrs there).

Built my cabin back in 2001, finished in it a year and a half later. Bought a kit from Country Autumn Log Homes out of Corydon In. I happen to have some books and a video about them if you'd like them give me your address and I'll ship them to ya. I'll toss up a few pics tonite when I get home. Had the thing winter tight in 3 months and work on days off finishing. Did it all our self( my 70 year old mother and her 73 year old husband and I.)

Neighbor kid down the street built a 30 x 40 garage with a Mother -in-law suite on top, it is a two bed rooms and two baths one down stairs in the garage area the other in the main living area.
The place cost him less than 30,000 to build but he added extras like he completely bricked the whole thing and put a wrap around porch on it I will get pics when I go for my walk tonight.

That's frikkin cool!

Back