Burlington?

Well the dog has finally healed her shoulder and is running again with a renewed spirt. Not sure which one of us was more depressed with her injury. So we are going to give it a go tomorrow (Thursday) in Burlington. Thought I would try my Rooster Round-up pass for the first time this year. Anyone have any luck with the Round-up or Burlington areas this year?

Have not hunted down by burlington this year, but wish you the best of luck with the pup. Glad the injury has come to pass. Hopefully that means more time in the field till the end of season. Seems like it's double overtime this year with how smart the roosters are!

Well Dakota and I didn't make it to Burlington today. I watched the weather last night and noticed 2 inches of snow was expected in the North East part of the State so I headed the vehicle north east instead of east. It was a perfect hunting day 2 inches of new snow, temps in the teens, slight breeze out of the North, wonderful. It was also great to get out with Dakota (finally) and she did not disapoint. I was concerned with her fitness as she was off any long runs for 1 1/2 months due to her shoulder but she missed it as much as I did and was willing to go the distance. She worked the field well and as to be expected we raised more hens (16) and only 2 roosters. I only had a shot at 1 and was lucky with the second shell. But he flew over100 yards and dropped in the corn field. Dakota watched it fly away and figuring I had missed it gave up the chase just before it fell from the sky, so she missed marking it. I sprinted, sort of, to the were I thought it fell and started looking around. Dakota picked up the chase and after a couple of minutes she locked up and pointed the bird. Not sure if she thought it was a new bird as she did not see it fall or she pointed because it was still alive. Either way I'll take it (picture). It was probably a three year old bird (picture). The good about hunting in new snow is you can see if there are birds out there . The bad is this year there are not as many tracks to follow. It is also fun to see were they out smarted you and finally took flight (picture). But I'll take hunting in the snow as it is quiet and peacefull and you can tell if your the only one hunting that spot today, we did not see another hunter all day, perfect...

Hey SDT,
Glad to hear that you both were finally able to get out. Hunting right after a fresh snow is a great fun-assuming you can get there and back and not get stuck in a ditch somewhere. Thanks for posting the results and the pics.
POL

Back