Burlington Round-up?

I joined the Burlington Round-up this year but have not been able to get out there yet (Dog's injury). I would like to hear how people have been doing out there this year. Last year was down the year before much better, just curious before I do make the trip.

I joined the Burlington Round-up this year but have not been able to get out there yet (Dog's injury). I would like to hear how people have been doing out there this year. Last year was down the year before much better, just curious before I do make the trip.

Talked to a guy that I know (not on the forum) who went with his son and couple of other guys. They got three birds over the weekend. He said they didn't see much on the same places as last year. However they go permission to hunt some private and saw birds in cut corn.

Hope this helps...I didn't join this year, saving money for South Dakota this weekend with my son and two labs!! First time ever hunting there, have access to some private land.

I don't know if I will venture out much in Colorado this year due to conditions....who knows though.

Good luck,

Greg

sdt

it was real windy ;way to windy for my enjoyment, but did see plenty of birds.
there were a few hunters out but didnt run into any a$$'s ; if a field was full i moved on and so did all the other hunter I saw drive by .
Only hunted sat. and had my 5 setters running ,so, maybe that is why i thought it was [ ok ].

Second Wilson's comment. Saturday had winds up to 30-40mph, tumbleweeds to knock your truck over, dirt and grit blowing into your eyes, etc. About noon the wind switched from the SW to the NE, dropped to about 15 mph, and the temp dropped from 72 to 48 in 20 minutes. I scouted Friday afternoon, hunted Saturday and Sunday morning, then scouted around Stratton and headed home.

This was my first Roundup and I hunted some by myself, and some with as many as 20 hunters. We got a few birds but did not see any concentrations. The organization was great, maps and properties well marked, and lots of property. There is not much traditional cover in the area as most all CRP has been hayed. A fair amount of cornfields had also been cut/baled or disced. On the other hand there were also fields of standing abandoned corn and those held birds. There were very few small spots to hunt like the center pivot corners I'm used to hunting as most corners were either cut or had winter wheat. Lot's of big fields of traditional 7" wheat stubble or corn-either standing abandoned, traditional cut, or disced or baled.
There was an area to the SE that had a 2 mile by 3 mile land enrollment so it would help to have a big group, lots of dogs, posters, wing blockers, etc.

I'll definitely be going back but probably during the week so I can have my pick of places.

Tom

Back