Bucket List--->2013

013 will be time for a new puppy, Cooper will be 13 and will stay home this year, sad. Star will be 4 and is at the top of her game. But I want a puppy with her this Fall'.
Got a card from a Friend in ND, asked why I didn't show up this year?
Said He has lots of roosters, So in the Fall probably late? will do a ND bird hunt.
He always joins me Walleye fishing so what the heck.

Montana again of course, hard to beat the high country grouse hunting in Sept. Blues and Ruffs.
Love the badlands to, Sharptails and Huns. I will see plenty of Sage Grouse, but I've been passing on them for a few years now.
I will hunt Mulies again, why not, been doing it for 40 ish years and see no reason to stop/:)
Elk? nah, don't think so, Done it, to much meat to deal with.
Oh yeah, forgot:confused::eek: Tons of pheasant hunting to.:cheers:

hunting time

large number of days in the field come pretty easy when ya don't have a wife and no job, just love it, retired actually and my girl friend loves to get rid of me

cheers

2013 Bucket List-

Take a grand slam of species here at the Byrd Ranch:
Rio turkey
Bull elk
Bobcat
Lesser Prairie Chicken(if there is a season)

Western Colorado Elk Hunt with both sons

Elk??? In Dodge City KS?

I have two youngsters to work with this spring/summer. That will be keeping me semi busy.

Take a week long trip on the motorcycle. Been a couple years since I have done that.

Then come early fall head north to either Mt or Nd depending on forecast for a hunting trip with all my dogs.

Purchase a few odds and ends that I have been doing without for a long time now.

tasty birds

steve, i have never seen a hun, never ate one but the other two birds you got taste like spoiled liver, how did you handle them, it is not likely i would ever hunt them again as if i shoot it i eat it.

cheers

Elk??? In Dodge City KS?

Haven't seen them in the city limits, but do occasionally in the country.;)

I have an unfilled elk tag in my pocket and season is open until in March. I will definitely post pictures if I ever get one.

Haven't seen them in the city limits, but do occasionally in the country.;)

I have an unfilled elk tag in my pocket and season is open until in March. I will definitely post pictures if I ever get one.

Ha Ha didn't figure they were in the city limits. But I didn't know they were around that area. Do they come off of Cimmeron?

Ha Ha didn't figure they were in the city limits. But I didn't know they were around that area. Do they come off of Cimmeron?

I suspect they came from the grasslands. They like irrigated corn. I have some pics somewhere of some spikes and cows here at my place. I would prefer a hero shot with me holding up the rack on a nice 6 x 6.

There has been some nice bulls taken, but I haven't heard of any this year, but I will keep watching. ATTENTION: Anyone seeing a bull elk in SW Kansas give me a call!(tag not good in Morton County).

steve, i have never seen a hun, never ate one but the other two birds you got taste like spoiled liver, how did you handle them, it is not likely i would ever hunt them again as if i shoot it i eat it.

cheers

Hun is between quail and pheasant as far as darkness of meat.
Sharptail are very much like Prairie Chicken, and the Sage Grouse is even darker meat and it smell like sage. My hunting partner ate the sage grouse and said that it tasted good. I think he is likely crazy :D

Those darker meat birds, take more skill in cooking than I have to make them taste good. :eek:

Steve, if I make it out that way would you be gracious enough to point my miscreant dogs and I towards a covey or two or quail? I sure would like to see those handsome setters run too.:cheers:

My springers prefer the thickest, nastiest thicket of berries, roses or plums you can find.:cheers:

Head west for a week or 2 to Montana,or one of the Dakotas...

Kill a nice buck with a bow here in Wisconsin...

Maybe a bear hunt in Mn.

Besides that just more of the same wild bird hunting here in Wisconsin as far as fall hunting goes. Spring turkey too. This winter I want to get out after some predators,crows,and hopefully 1 more grouse hunt.

Other than hunting I'd like to take a trip to the boundary waters in the late summer or early fall,catch a few nice 7+ pound bass in Wisconsin,catch some nice early spring pike out of the river,and a few muskies throughout the summer too.

More sporting clays too.

I guess I'll be kinda busy...

2013 dreams....

- A trip to North Dakota or Montana
- Get my puppy on his first wild birds
- Run said puppy in his first hunt test
- Black powder elk hunt
- Hunt southern Colorado for scaled quail (not gonna make it this year; ran outta time)
- Shoot my first prairie chicken
- Shoot a lot more clays...

I turn 50 this year! this is my bucket list.
1. Trip with the family this spring to someplace warm.
2. One week motorcycle trip, probably around Lake Superior.
3. Shoot pheasants in North Dakota.
4. Shoot a nice buck on my property here in Minnesota.
5. Have an elk trip planned to Wyoming! Looking to shoot a 6x6. The outfitter I am booked with shot 30 in his camps this fall.
6. I plan to celebrate each day that I am 50, no mid life crisis here, just loving life!

Back