Brine a pheasant

Bob Peters

I've heard a lot about brining different meat over the years. Mainly for Thanksgiving turkey 🦃. Does it make sense to brine a pheasant in some cases? If you do it does it need to be the entire cleaned bird, or can you just throw the breast and thigh meat in a salt bowl?

I've heard a lot about brining different meat over the years. Mainly for Thanksgiving turkey 🦃. Does it make sense to brine a pheasant in some cases? If you do it does it need to be the entire cleaned bird, or can you just throw the breast and thigh meat in a salt bowl?
I've brined pheasant, huns and turkey, whole carcass and pieces. I think it makes a difference but everyone is different.

It definitely makes a difference. You can brine just the breast and legs.

You eat more brined meat than you realize. Read the fine print on the prepackaged boneless skinless chicken you buy from the store. They brine in part for flavor and in part because it adds weight to the meat and you are buying by the pound.

I think for most meats, a dry brine is best. A simple dry brine of 1/2 salt, with 1/2 brown sugar and some black pepper works very well. Rub the mixture on the meat and place in the refrigerator overnight. The meat absorbs the salt and sugar. The pepper deposits on the surface.

The next day cook or smoke as you wish.

Wet brine for fish. Dry brine for meat.

I've brined pheasant for smoking, but haven't tried it prior to regular dishes. I'm sure it can't be bad!

I brine all birds and small game. But for a different reason. Everything is cleaned and shot up pieces chucked. Then into a brine and into the fridge. The salt supposedly pulls the blood out, but for me it's a hedge against spoilage. I'll let it sit for a few days. Then I rinse, clean and inspect again. Then it's cooked or vacuumed sealed and frozen. So now when It's thawed, I know that it's already soaked a few days, so should not be soaked again for any length of time.

I think for most meats, a dry brine is best. A simple dry brine of 1/2 salt, with 1/2 brown sugar and some black pepper works very well. Rub the mixture on the meat and place in the refrigerator overnight. The meat absorbs the salt and sugar. The pepper deposits on the surface.

The next day cook or smoke as you wish.

Wet brine for fish. Dry brine for meat.
John, I assume you rinse before cooking. How much salt/brown sugar/pepper would you suggest for 4 pheasants? Thanks.

I cannot specify an amount. I would simply mix a cup of salt with a cup of brown sugar, add black pepper as you see fit.

Rub on the meat. Place the meat in a plastic or ceramic container in the fridge overnight.

Place the extra brine in a ziplock or Tupperware container for later use.

Back