Braque Francais - The French Pointer

I’ve hunted over a Braque De Bourbonnais. I’m not sure how different they are, I think they are all French pointers with the last part of the name telling what region of France they are from.

Gatzby, it's Braque Du Bourbonnais. The Bourbonnais are a smaller dog than the Braque Francias.

Thanks Zeb....Hell it took me 3 days to learn how to pronounce Braque Du Bourbonnais!

Dag- that is a great looking dog. Can you tell me a little more? Where did you get the pup? Trainability? Hunting? Good with Kids?

thanks,
Hoster05

Was looking for bird dog that wasn’t too big, good with kids and good in the house. Someone told me to look at Braques. This guy is from Brielle Kennels in Michigan. He has been exactly as advertised. We have 2 little boys and he has never been anything but gentle with them. I’ve been hunting him since he was 4 months old. He will hunt all day long, no problem. Is extremely easy to train. They are a softer breed and just want to please you. He was house trained in a 5 days. Crate trained in a week. I take him for an hour off leash almost everyday and at home he lays on the couch all day.

thanks for the info. seems like everything I read online keeps directing me to Brielle Kennels. Did you make a visit to the kennel at all and was your pup shipped to you or did you go and get him?

He won’t ship so you have to go pick him up. We live in colorado so we flew out there and flew back with him in the cabin with me. Full disclosure, this is our first Braque and he is only 9 months old, so I am far from an expert on the breed. Also, Brielle’s waiting list is getting deep. I’ve heard Grand Ciel is also producing awesome dogs. Make sure you ask about hips and eye testing. There is one breeder (who I won’t name here) that doesn’t do it. I felt that if your going to breed dogs and charge these prices that should be done. If you want to call me I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have. I called everyone I could before we picked him up.

Best, David

The last I talked with Grand Ciel they weren't breeding. Brad was passing the torch. He did say that he was looking at a dog from Europe that he might breed so who knows. I am on the waiting list at Brielle right now. Seth seems great to work with and I am hoping that his dogs are everything people say about them. I currently have a Vizsla and I am looking at a little calmer dog of similar size and hunting abilities. Considering most of the year my dog is a family dog temperament was a huge factor in my choosing a Braque. My Vizsla is great with my kids but can get pretty hyper when new people are present. Good luck on your search. There aren't a ton of breeders in the US. You might want to look at the breeders in Canada as well.

I was a little skeptical of all the great things I kept hearing about them but it has all been true so far. We live in Vail colorado and have a 3 bedroom condo. He has been great inside. Goes from the couch to his bed all day. Seth’s a great guy and we couldn’t be happier about getting our dog from him.

I have one that is 14 months now. She is a little too much in the house but other than that she is a natural and a very sweet dog. I hunted with 4 other braques this fall. Most were calmer than mine. but like DAG described the are pretty out of the box dogs, more upland geared than some versatile breeds. I have seen 2 dogs from 3 rivers that were calm and competent dogs.

I have one that is 14 months now. She is a little too much in the house but other than that she is a natural and a very sweet dog. I hunted with 4 other braques this fall. Most were calmer than mine. but like DAG described the are pretty out of the box dogs, more upland geared than some versatile breeds. I have seen 2 dogs from 3 rivers that were calm and competent dogs.

I got my Braque Francais from 3 rivers and she is as calm as can be in the house. Where did you get your dog from? I see you are in Missouri, so am I. Were the owners from 3 rivers in Missouri too? My BF has been everything that is advertised.

View attachment 8223

I have an 8yr old going on 9 BF. Got him from Brad Boison and Grand Ciel.

Got him because I have gone through two other bird dogs, a Weimaraner then a Vizsla. The Weim was better in the house than the Vizsla but the Vizsla was better in the field. Each was very active in the house as I put it. As my wife would put it they were terrors! LOL.

I read the article about BFs in Pointing Dog Journal I think where they interviewed Boison and he talked about temperament and that the BF were good house dogs. They are also smaller than either of my first two dogs. the Weim was 80lbs and the Vizsla 70.

So i will tell anyone who will listen that the BF is by far a much better in the house dog. He also travels really well. My wife and I drive 17 hr to FL and he sits in the back seat and never makes a peep. In the house he's very calm, especially for a hunting dog. The only thing he does is bark at the UPS guy and occasionally at a cat or deer that wanders by. He doesn't have those fits of energy. Never chewed the house to pieces. Never ate a couch like my Weim. Never took down the curtains like the Vizsla. He's a fine inside dog and one hell of a good pheasant dog. Best dog of the three.

Last edited:
This has been a great thread to follow !!! Could you fellows tell me how the Braque is at retrieving, could they be used at tower shots for retrieving only.

Back