Boards and Barrels???

Gatzby

Can anyone here give me some feed back. I have been hearing about "boards and barrels" quartering drills. Unfortunately I can't find anything or anyone that can explain it.
Steve

I am no quartering expert but I always just taught mine as a basic obedience drill in the field. Once the puppy has an understanding of sit, here, and heel I just start giving a tug on the lead as you would in teaching here and toot the whistle. At the same time I am turning the dog with the lead and encouraging them to come my why with a hand signal. Then turn again always zig sagging and making sure the dog never goes behind me. Using a long enough rope to teach the dog what range I want. Once they understand I translate to birds with the lead. At least that is how I have done it with great success. Of course after collar conditioning the collar translates from the lead if the dog gets out of range but quiet honestly that doesn't happen very often as labs tend to work close naturally. Simple baseball drills that we do for handling aids as well. So you can cast the dog anywhere and any direction.

:) Well yes I can, But I wont touch the subject with a 10 foot poll LOL

That's pretty much the same response I got from another trainer.... Now my interest is even more piqued!!! But I am guessing a public forum isn't the place to discuss it.

Yep seems to be one of those things that are not spoken about on the internet.
Here is a youtube video with Jim Keller using buckets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXfpfh39kKI
There seems to be many methods of using buckets. I have seen some people use them with placeboards and some without placeboards. Some use more buckets to teach a pattern and some seem to only use a few to teach some of the basics. Some use birds on the buckets and some only use dummies.

Yep seems to be one of those things that are not spoken about on the internet.
Here is a youtube video with Jim Keller using buckets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXfpfh39kKI
There seems to be many methods of using buckets. I have seen some people use them with placeboards and some without placeboards. Some use more buckets to teach a pattern and some seem to only use a few to teach some of the basics. Some use birds on the buckets and some only use dummies.

Thanks
Place boards are a pretty versitile tool. And buckets are often used in teaching pattern blinds. I think I get the process..... It seems a bit to involved for me. But if you don't have helpers maybe it is an option

I will add a little. It is a good tool if done properly. And Gary is the best in the country at it. He developed the method. Done wrong and you end up with some not so desirable dogs. Done right like Gary does you end up with a well trained animal. If you see on my website I do have dogs sitting on place boards. I learned from some who learned from him. I have only done one dog on barrels after he learned to find, flush, retrieve, and use the wind. It was just for control. I just built 8 more boards the other day LOL. Its another one of them things that if you don't know how, best to seek advice from a guy like Gary. Take a vacation, go pay him a fee and learn it.:thumbsup: People will stereotype it, and argue about it. The reason no one wants to talk about it.

Last edited:
Back