Black GSP

dakota hunting

Now i have heard rumar that if you have a black GSP they cant be pure bread and that they should be put down to keep good lines. I personally think that bull shit :mad:, i have a papered black GSP and at 6 months she is the best dog and getting compliments everytime we go out.

What are they facts and how do you feel about black GSP's not being "pure" shorthair

Where did you hear that? Black has been in GSP lines from inception. The AKC does not recognize Black as an acceptable color for the show ring, but you can run in Hunt tests, FT's, etc...

Blacks are as pure as any other. Where did you hear that, I'm curious.

What you may find out is that many blacks (not all) are of German blood or registered as a DK (Deutsch Kurzhaar) . Their still 100% pureblood German Shorthair though.

Last edited:
I agree with all the above; my son has a full black and several black and whites in his kennel. As stated before, he can't show them in an AKC "beauty pagent" but they hunt as well as any.

I have seen your pic. and she is a beautifull dog, don't let someone else get you down, just go and out hunt him with your dog. AKC would not have given reg. all these years if that was the case. Don't worry about it and have fun with your dog.

In case your interested here is a link to the governing body of the North American Deutsch Kurzhaar club (NADKC). http://www.nadkc.org/

You'll see many black and or black and white dogs registered with the NADKC.

Now i have heard rumar that if you have a black GSP they cant be pure bread and that they should be put down to keep good lines. I personally think that bull shit :mad:, i have a papered black GSP and at 6 months she is the best dog and getting compliments everytime we go out.

What are they facts and how do you feel about black GSP's not being "pure" shorthair

I've heard that crap also, but we just got our 8 week old black and white girl. She is beautiful and comes from some great hunting parents. I personally like the colors because it is a little different, and we have got compliments from everyone who has seen her.
4135690333_788a62e852.jpg

Scooter, that is one pretty point on that pup. Yes, she is a cutie for sure. She also shows she has some natural talent to be pointing like that at her age. When they point like that, who gave a darn what color they are. It is performance that counts......Bob

Last edited:
Scooter, that is one pretty point on that pup. Yes, she is a cutie for sure. She also shows she has some natural talent to be pointing like that at her age. When they point like that, who gave a darn what color they are. It is performance that counts......Bob

Thanks, she has the natural ability and is pointing great, even holding fairly well. She should be an easy train for us.

If anyone has any pointers on how to get her to stop chewing on everything in sight (pant legs, shoes, furniture, hands, etc.) I would be the hero to my wife!:thumbsup:

I would go with Germans on this one. The DK can be black, black and white, liver, or liver and white. My DK is liver and white, but his mom is black and white. My next DK will be black and white.

Have you tried those Rawhide Chews? I use them for Tony at 10 years old he still like to lay around in the evening and chew. The ones I use are Harpers Beefhide Chews and Prestige Pet Porkhide Twists.........Bob

Last edited:
Black is OK in the AKC breed standard, but black dogs can't be shown in the show ring. In AKC performance events--and of course in NAVHDA/NSTRA--black is fine.

Maybe you picked up on some concerns regarding breeding for color.

Some folks--including me--are dead set against that. It's helped ruin some breeds and we don't want that kind of thing to infiltrate into shorthairs which are still a pretty sound breed. Breeding choices should be based first on soundness and ability with color a distant factor down the line.

When we see a breeder breeding intentionally to get black dogs and selling his dogs based on color, some of us will get our hackles up.

I do have a black and white shorthair and a liver and white. They are littermates and by chance the black and white one is a lot better than the liver and white one. I agree one should not breed for color. Personally, in the yard I like the looks of the liver and white one better than the black and white one, but in the field the black and white one is much easier to see. My dad saw another littermate that was black roan and he said he looked very sharp.
I am partial to shorthairs, but as far as beauty don't think there is an ugly breed in the sporting breeds, don't know if the same can be said about any other group of dogs (possibly working dogs.) The characteristic that makes a dog beautiful is intensity, especially on point, not color, markings, length of tail, hair etc.
Bucky

Have you tried those Rawhide Chews? I use them for Tony at 10 years old he still like to lay around in the evening and chew. The ones I use are Harpers Beefhide Chews and Prestige Pet Porkhide Twists.........Bob

She is not too interested in the rawhides, but is in everything else.

If anyone has any pointers on how to get her to stop chewing on everything in sight (pant legs, shoes, furniture, hands, etc. I would be the hero to my wife!:thumbsup:

when my black & white (the color police can go pound sand) GSP was a pup, I got one of those tug-of-war ropes, the ones with the the big knot in them and she chewed that to shreds; she stopped chewing everything else just that rope, as she aged the chewing stopped

Last edited:
Back