Birds!

wilsonchevy

Birds are thick this season! Hunted Yuma county all day. We saw at least 60 in one field, and a minimum of 100 all day. Didn't get my limit, but it's not because I wasn't pulling the trigger. I have never had the problem of picking the shooter when there's a flush. But today was the day of that cherry poppin'!

Got out for the second time this season on Thurs...Not quite as impressed with the number of birds in the general area overall compared to where I was on opening day, but we managed to put up at least one rooster in almost every field we ventured into! Putting them down was another story... :cool:

Came home with two birds - shot one over the dog & the other he found that someone else before us had lost (hey what the heck, he still hunted it up on his own - I had no idea it was even there - and it was still fresh enough to be good eats - I hate waste & it was getting late in the day with a slow harvest, so I did my good deed).

Saw a lot of birds in the 1st field early in the morning, but unfortunately a hawk had the same idea as we did - he beat us to the punch & sent the motherload sailing into the standing corn before we could even finish getting out of the truck & situated! :)

Other than that, we also found grassbur central station!!! Really nice CRP field, but couldn't even work it - a premium set of dog boots will be on tap for the pooch this Christmas (gee, didn't think I would ever see the need for that again since leaving the desert southwest)!

Had a great time with PrOfLabs (met on this forum)...all 3 dogs got along great & worked good together!...There was still a whole lot of cackling going on at sunset in the very last field as we packed it in for home! I'm lovin this ditch-chicken learnin curve!!!

Probably will not be able to get out again till the first week of Dec after Thanksgiving...Oh well, hopefully the rest of the corn will be down by then & have em' all packed nice-&-tight in some nifty little corners! :D

Back