Birds/Hotels in or near Plentywood?

jflewis88

Hey, All -

Looking for a little local intel. Have a last minute opportunity to possibly hunt some private land in the Plentywood area. Don't know a thing about the area. Can any of you give me some idea as to the bird situation up that way? And I can't find much in the way of hotels in town - just the Sherwood & the Gold Dollar. Anyone have any insight on those or other accommodations?

Many thanks!!

we usually stay at the gold dollar rooms 1 or 3 are on the main floor and are pretty spacious. Bar and restruant are attached the the motel so is very convienent .

Thanks, 88! Any intel on birds? It's about a 14 hour haul from home for 2-1/2 days hunting. Worthwhile?

We had a hunt lined up on private land in ND, my guy called and said don't bother, no birds. This would be a back-up plan, but I don't want to drive all that way for nothing…

Any intel would be much appreciated! Thanks!

There's plenty of private land open to hunting in the Plentywood area. It's the roosters that are in short supply. Bad Winters and nesting conditions have left many of those areas without pheasants.
Plentywood is also oil country, call for reservations for lodging.

Thank you, Sir. You've just saved me 20+ hours of driving! We've got access to private land if we want it, but if the rooster population doesn't warrant a trip, then we'll wait 'till next year.

I live in glasgow, a couple of hours west of Plentywood, but I am very familiar with sheridan county, I have several days of hunting in over that way this year, till I sprained my ankle in a badger hole badly...lol.. There are still birds over that way, probably better then most people on this site will see this year I am guessing. If you have a chance to hunt some quality private ground that is not in the block management program you will see birds. As for lodging, I know the folks at the sherwood Inn and know they are good folks.

a friend stayed for 2 weeks in that area, hunting public land over the first 2 weeks of the season, and said there were pockets of birds, and DEAD zones. Likely due to the uneven and spotty rains in the spring or possible locallized hale storms.

Thanks to everyone that posted a reply. We've bagged the trip and are staying closer to home, based on your feedback and some intel from the landowner. That said, if/when we do head up there, we'll know where to stay. Much appreciated, everyone!

Back