Bird limits

Maybe modified,full. I really dumped one, and he flew off well.I should have reloaded,I could have gotten him close.I thought he was done. The other bird I put a giid hit on at 30 yards into the wind, he ran into thick brush,where my dog could not get to.
Maybe it is just me but sounds like you need to train that dog.

Unless I’m missing something, a number 5 pellet flying at 1250FPS has the same energy and knockdown power regardless of whether it comes from a 12, 20, 28, or any other gauge. The only difference is the number of pellets you can put on a bird at a given distance. A 1oz load of 5’s from a 28ga could pattern just as good as a 1-3/8oz load of 5’s from a 12ga at a certain distance. So the effectiveness of the gauge has more to do with the pattern than the size of the barrel.

Unless I’m missing something, a number 5 pellet flying at 1250FPS has the same energy and knockdown power regardless of whether it comes from a 12, 20, 28, or any other gauge. The only difference is the number of pellets you can put on a bird at a given distance. A 1oz load of 5’s from a 28ga could pattern just as good as a 1-3/8oz load of 5’s from a 12ga at a certain distance. So the effectiveness of the gauge has more to do with the pattern than the size of the barrel.
If I can figure out range, I'll be ok.

Well this one went off the rails from counting a lost bird to a full blown argument about 28 gauge shotguns.

My opinion on the lost bird, as others have stated, is that you need to make a reasonable attempt to recover that bird. Who cares if it fell in a sea of cattails that appears impossible to get to. Try. Or don't hunt there. I don't lose many birds, less than one/season. I lost one bird last year and that was the first one in years. When I lose one, I do not count it in my bag limit.

A buck/deer is a different story. Quite often the bag limit on a deer is only one, especially a buck. I've never lost a wounded deer. Honestly I don't know what I'd do. That would bother me a lot more than losing a rooster.

What part of bag limit don’t you understand? If you can’t find it, it’s not in the bag. The more roosters taken out the better it is for the flock in hard times. Don’t be a Karen.

Well this one went off the rails from counting a lost bird to a full blown argument about 28 gauge shotguns.

My opinion on the lost bird, as others have stated, is that you need to make a reasonable attempt to recover that bird. Who cares if it fell in a sea of cattails that appears impossible to get to. Try. Or don't hunt there. I don't lose many birds, less than one/season. I lost one bird last year and that was the first one in years. When I lose one, I do not count it in my bag limit.

A buck/deer is a different story. Quite often the bag limit on a deer is only one, especially a buck. I've never lost a wounded deer. Honestly I don't know what I'd do. That would bother me a lot more than losing a rooster.
I've already lost 7.Old dog, cheap shells.

Your birds are what is in your possession that day (fresh) and in your possession (total). Lost birds do not count. If a person chooses to count a lost bird against their limit ... that is a personal choice ... but nothing legal or illegal.

Waterfowling is a bit different than pheasant hunting. If the warden walks out and finds your dropped "lost" bird ... I suppose he has you. To write a ticket on a lost bird that is not in anyone's hand - no way.

Years ago .. brother, dad, and I were hunting waterfowl in a wheat field. Brother gets a triple limit (cranes, Canada geese, ducks). We do get our 3 ducks each ... yep limit back in the early 90s... Warden comes out the second we are picking up decoys. He is convinced we have more than 9 ducks ... I am sure he was watching and counting all morning ... I thing he has his bird counts in error ...

He proceeds to push his hand down a few old gopher (badger ?) holes trying to find that hidden duck. He goes over to an old fence line and walks it. To his dismay ... nothing was found. We were legit.

I look back now and it may have been possible that we hit a duck that died behind us, out of sight, but in our field. Don't think so and nothing was found ... never say never.

Goose - if you are using a 28 ga. ... you need to refrain from taking shots unless they are close. My brother often used a sweet little 28ga. Remington 1100. He only shot birds under his dog on point on birds that held until he was feet away from the dog. I do not believe he ever lost a hit bird when using that gun.

Goose - if you are using a 28 ga. ... you need to refrain from taking shots unless they are close. My brother often used a sweet little 28ga. Remington 1100. He only shot birds under his dog on point on birds that held until he was feet away from the dog. I do not believe he ever lost a hit bird when using that gun.
Yes, I'm used to a 12 auto.Long range gun.I rarely get close shots.

Back