Bird at your feet straight away .....miss

Straight aways are the bain of my hunting. I have a hard time covering the birds up a generally shot to then side often winging, when I do cover the bird up it is a cloud of feathers.....My dad and I were in Iowa hunting and standing in a bean field and a rooster got up at our feet literally and we lob 10 shots and never touched him.....I know your pain.

Lol it happens. Remember to take your time and get set before pulling the trigger, when going straight away they look like they are going so fast but its just all the feathers dancing.. most people empty their gun before the bird is at 30 yards. You have lots of time on a foot flush!

How come somebody is always around to see it too? You could be in the middle of nowhere, haven't seen anyone for 3 days, and the second that happens a whole group of guys would be coming over the hillside.

In the moment of high excitement the cheek never quite makes it to the stock. Once had a hen flush and direct hit where I branch off.
Just laugh it off Weimdog. We all have been there.

Funny thing is yesterday with 5 guys standing around in slough I told them got a point. I kicked around and a rooster flys straight away without a shot fired. I was waiting for someone else to shoot and when I finally decided well I need to shoot I failed to take the safety off. A couple of guys jazzed me saying they weren't ever going to be nice and wait on me to shoot ever again. After hunting together for years they still can't comprehend my I don't care if I ever shoot another attitude if someone else is there to shoot the bird.

Back