Billings Roundup Area any Public Ground?

andyperry07

Hello, Just wondering if Billings/Roundup area or anywhere in region 5 in Montana has an public access for decent public hunting. Live in wyoming and hoping for some weekend options in Montana. No specifics of course just wondering about overall feeling of the area.

Thanks

The Yellowstone River Valley consistently produces good pheasant numbers. So do the tributaries. Public land gets pounded near Billings.
North and North East of Roundup there gets to be some large chunks of public land. Sharptail and Huns are common throughout. Hunt the brushy draws for Sharptails and the hillsides for Huns. Pheasants are in the heavy stuff where there is farming, stubble nearby.

Thanks! WHat part of MN where/are you from? I used to live in far eastern So Dak. If you ever want to hunt a weekend this fall in MT this fall let me know I have one young dog who is optimistically ok at this point, but he does listen pretty well for 14 months haha.

I'm in North Central MN.
If all goes well I'll be in MT a lot starting early Sept. Getting Close! :cheers:

The hunting around the Billings area has not been good for the past 3-4 years. Birds are becoming harder to find as does places to hunt them. The public lands around here do get hammered hard. Hopefully this year will be better than the past few years.

MTchaser, The Winter of 2010-11 was so very hard on the critters, wasn't it.
The heavy cover stuff in MT and ND did a WHOLE lot better then the grasslands alone. I did notice things improving though. We'll see.
Best of luck with your Fall hunts. :cheers:

Between spring flooding a few years ago, drought conditions and then record snowfall last year in many parts of Montana, it has been tough on all wildlife. I hope this year is better, but either way, Cody and I will still be out putting the miles on in the fields.

I think Montana Marginal/poor is better than the area of Wyoming I am in in a great year so I think it is always relative. I was told by friends back home in So Dak that there were "no birds" I went home over thanksgiving decided to give it a go... needless to say I saw more birds in 2 days than i did in about 20 days in Wyoming. If I have a chance for a few sharps a few huns and a few phez over a weekend in Montana it would be worth it. I just do not have time to drive all the way to the NE portion of the state. Lets hope this year is a little better in both our states!!!

I'm planning on being in W North Dakota Eastern and Central MT about the 5-12 of Sept hunting Grouse and Huns, also checking on the pheasants.
I'll let you know.

Back