Best ways to find pigeons or other game birds for training?

andyperry07

New to dog training. I have my first WPG and had had a great season with the young guy. He is now 8 months old and had a pretty good year for the limited number of birds we found. A few good points several good retrieves and no lost birds with him.

Gonna start planted bird training soon and I wondered how people find/buy and keep birds without owning a farm.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a local guy I get mine from. Alot of guys I know have a coop and keep their own homers. that way they go back to your coop after training session is over....they get other ones from another guy when they are going to be shooting them so they don't dwindle down their stock of homers. I could trap them at some farms not too far away but just never get around to building or buying traps. A good place to find them also is farm auctions or sales...look in your newspaper classified section...they are usually listed there. Even when I lived in NJ there were several that went on every month...you can get ducks, pheasants, quail...geese, pigs...cows, goats....pidgeons ....whatever you want. Make contact with some local sporting dog groups maybe and talk to some people that live near you...they should be able to tell you where to get them near you as well. I know when I moved out to IL it took me a while to get birds lined up...sometimes its a wild goose chase

We have caught pigeons in a pigeon trap, but having some homers in a loft is really nice. I am training 25 miles from home, and the pigeons generally beat me home.

I have a friend that gave me some of his extra young pigeons.

There are lots of game bird farms around. But often times the birds do not fly well, and that causes a lot of training problems. Pigeons and a launcher or manual trap is a pretty good way to go.

Back