Best UPLAND hunting pants

Madison COunty

I am looking for some UPLAND hunting pants. I hunt pheasants mainly in Iowa and hopefully a couple times in South Dakota each year. I have a three pairs of Scheels pants but last year the crotch riped on one pair

I don't mind spending money on a quality pair (don't want chaps). What do you recommend??????

I use Cabelas upland pants. The ones that are blue jeans on top. I hunt SD at least once or twice a week and they last multiple seasons.

My last two pair have been the Cabelas Dry Plus upland pants. They last about 3.5 seasons for me. I think they may have discontinued them. My next pair I want to try are the Orvis Missouri Break Pants. I would love it, if you could try them first and let me know. Either way, I think I'm pulling the trigger on these next season.

I meant the Sharptail Hunting Pants not the Missouri

Last edited:
Last edited:
Several years ago, I got a pair of Goretex from LL Bean I think. Best money I ever spent hunting related. My legs don't get wet and they also stop the cold wind. They are also very durable. Wish I would have had such pants 50 years ago.

I've had very good luck with Wrangler Pro gear upland pants. In fact I have a pair that I still use that may just be 10 years old.:10sign:

I agree with GJW. I've been wearing the LL Beans for several years and they are tough and comfortable.

I used the prior version of the Bean goretex pants as well. The best I have ever worn. Unfortunately, the older and less expensive style (bought one pair at 119 and another at 129 before discounts) has been replaced. I was very disappointed in Bean for bringing the next version out for 199. The older version was one of the more highly rated items I have ever seen on Bean's web site. At least, the newer version is being touted in this thread. That is the first review that I have seen for the new version.

I've had very good luck with Wrangler Pro gear upland pants. In fact I have a pair that I still use that may just be 10 years old.:10sign:

I bought five pair of these and had the inseam adjusted for my height. Great pants and have never had a burr scratch my legs again. I rotate two pair and they hardly show any wear after four or five years of usage. They are a bit heavy but that is a minor trade-off for great protection in the field and comfort.

I am searching for a pair that is not made of cotton mainly due to the fact that cotton doesn't dry out that well or keep you warm once it is wet. I will have to check out the pants everyone is reccomending.

I see that Orvis has pants called upland briar pants that are 100% polyester. They are pricy but I am tired of spending money on pants just to have them ruined in one season or less. Has anyone tried the Orvis pants?

You may want to check out what Filson has to offer. I personally have never had any products from them so I can't vouch for them. But, I've heard many good things about their products.

I am searching for a pair that is not made of cotton mainly due to the fact that cotton doesn't dry out that well or keep you warm once it is wet. I will have to check out the pants everyone is reccomending.

I see that Orvis has pants called upland briar pants that are 100% polyester. They are pricy but I am tired of spending money on pants just to have them ruined in one season or less. Has anyone tried the Orvis pants?

Those Orvis pants look great but are outrageously priced. Let me know how they work out if you get them. Maybe I could get them as a gift if they are good.

You may want to check out what Filson has to offer. I personally have never had any products from them so I can't vouch for them. But, I've heard many good things about their products.

Their double hunting pant is very good. My grandfather swore by them. They are a shelter cloth material reinforced with their signature tin cloth.

I've got a couple pair going into their 5th season that have held up real well. Don't think you can go wrong with the Wranglers.

For dry weather I like my LL Bean pants with articulated knee and a protective layer of plastic bumps at the bottom of the legs to prevent fraying. Also, the main fabric stretches which reduces fatigue.

For wet weather my Cabelas Gortex lined pants perform perfectly. Hunted in blowing rain on Friday and stayed absolutely dry.

Pants I did not care for:

1. Wrangler brush pants because the leg facings developed a nap which made it harder, not easier, to walk tall cover.

2. Cabelas early season brush pants. They have zipper closures on some pockets which are hard to reach and operate (velcro or snaps are much better) and the zippers tore my upholstery.

Last edited:
I like Filsons double hunting pants. Especially for a couple spots that look like grouse cover but with thorny locust trees.

I just picked up a pair of Mountain Khaki hunting pants. Love the way they fit but I have no idea how they'll hold up.

My absolute favorites aren't pants, but WICK all nylon bibs.

Their double hunting pant is very good. My grandfather swore by them. They are a shelter cloth material reinforced with their signature tin cloth.

I was thinking they also have a regular tin pant in single, double and triple layers ? I've heard of the pants you're talking about.

I have a pair of oil finish tin cloth pants by Filson. They have and will last forever, and I mean that. They are water-resistant with a waxed finish but not water-proof. Not sure anything is really as I also have gore-tex pants.

The Filson's are the single tin, not the double tin. My brother has those and I tried to wear them once but the amount of break in those will take is beyond me. Stiff isn't the right word, They are petrified!

The single tins still took quite a few wearings to break in and loosen enough that my knees could bend to at least 90 degrees but now their good. But I don't wear them. I have a pair of nylon fronted carpenter pants by carhart that I wear almost all the time. They have a different cut, very roomy, wear pretty well and are cheap. Not water-resistant but the nylon fronting helps.

I had a Filson hunting jacket too but I out grew it. Sold it for as much as I paid for it. Was tough as nails. Bought a new LL Bean and it's not quite the jacket but roomy, protective but won't last forever like the Filson.

Those Orvis pants look great but are outrageously priced. Let me know how they work out if you get them. Maybe I could get them as a gift if they are good.

Just got the pants in the mail tonight after I got off work. The are comfortable and fit great! I have never spent this much on a pair of hunting pants but it is like what I tell my clients, you get what you pay for. I will give more feedback after they are tested in the field. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back