Best Hunting Supplies?

HunterChick23

Whats your favorite hunting stuff? Would you reccommend Bass Pro Shops or Cabella's? Is there a bird call of what? I've never gone hunting so this is all just the nessesities.

david0311

Whats your favorite hunting stuff? Would you reccommend Bass Pro Shops or Cabella's? Is there a bird call of what? I've never gone hunting so this is all just the

Have used both--prefer cabelas--great service--with their card--some great discounts and deals for card members--saved $1500 on my Kawasaki--just bought a pair of Rockys, and saved 25%--and free shipping --

My wife prefers cabelas for women clothing--selection size's ect--others I'm sure prefer bass pro--jmo:)

Cabelas is pretty good. Gander Mountain is good too.
I really like LLBean. The BEST return policy and great service.

I really like LLBean. The BEST return policy and great service.

1+

I LUV LL Beans. Started going up there in 1965 when we lived in Boston. Bean boots and a pa'tridge vest spell "BIRD SEASON" in my world.:10sign:

NB

Ditto x2 for ll beans . Great product, service. You can find some great deals in the clearance stuff.

bass pro will have a little bit of stuff but cabelas has the best upland choices out there for women the store here in kansas you have lots of choices like upland pants,upland coats, vests ,boots ,hats, gloves, glasses to block the sun so your not shooting hens :)Me personally i like walking in the store and looking at what im buying especially if your new at this your welcome to pm me as well for any questions welcome to the site have fun ( ( woops i didnt mean to hit the quote birddog sorry)

Cabelas come on only a pointer everyone knows bass pro is the place to go I was in cabelas in nebraska today i asked the dude behind the counter about his shells and he explained there was only 1 shell to kill birds I said let me see a box I quetly puked in my mouth and almosh SHiiii in my pants at the price 23.00 bucks a box I think i'll let the britts catch em for me

Cabelas come on only a pointer everyone knows bass pro is the place to go I was in cabelas in nebraska today i asked the dude behind the counter about his shells and he explained there was only 1 shell to kill birds I said let me see a box I quetly puked in my mouth and almosh SHiiii in my pants at the price 23.00 bucks a box I think i'll let the britts catch em for me

lol Joe thats what i pay a box for the premium federals about 20.00 i do buy them at bass pro the shells cabelas doesnt have a good selection of shells i mainly meant clothing stuff i mentioned .

Ugh... Go figure. Why us it illegal and what gun can I use?

It's illegal for two reasons.

1) if you ever hit a flying pheasant with a 22 rifle more than likely you will only wound the bird which is not an ethical outcome.

2) shooting a rifle with long range capability up into the air is a dangerous practice.

Any sort of shotgun is appropriate and legal for pheasants. I would suggest a 12, 16, or 20 gauge. In Indiana you will also need, at a minimum, a fully blaze orange hat or vest. If you are hunting in Illinois you will need both to be legal.

Cabelas FTW. They can be spendy but I have found for the most part stuff with there name on it is quality and lasts. Dont have a Bass Pro in MN. Gander is terrible.

oh my
I would honestly suggest you find someone locally to mentor you and show you the ropes for a while. Join a local hunt club perhaps

Check the rules and regs of the state where you intend to hunt for the allowable methods of upland bird hunting. Mostly it's shotguns and bow and arrow, the latter being very rare and, I assume, difficult.

There are no calls for birds expect for turkey and waterfowl (ducks and geese). Turkey generally respond to calls only in the spring season which takes place during their mating season. You can get a good turkey mouth call at WalMart for a few bucks.

I think Cabelas has more merchandise for the bird hunter than Bass Pro. Your local Walmart, hardware, or sporting goods store is a convenient place to buy shotgun shells and safety glasses. An internet search will bring up a vendor who has a line of upland clothing designed for women.

There are no calls for birds expect for turkey and waterfowl (ducks and geese). Turkey generally respond to calls only in the spring season which takes place during their mating season. You can get a good turkey mouth call at WalMart for a few bucks.

I have seen a Pheasant call at Cabelas and Scheels. The theory behind it is to use the call to find and hold the bird. This is how it is advertised on the packaging. Whether it works or not is a whole other ballgame. The calls I've seen are made by Lohman and I think they were selling for around $10. I never knew they existed until I saw them hanging on the shelf. I've never known anybody that used one, so who knows if they really work.

Last edited:
Never used a call, but I almost bought one for the novelty of it one time. As far as gear, I have a cabelas strap vest which I dont much care for, and Filsons tin cloth chaps. A pair of dickies work pants underneath those and you are set.

Back