Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 1 (20 Gauge)

Madison COunty

I have been looking at this over/under in a 20 gauge for a couple years now, I doubt I will buy it this year though. I was wondering if any of you have one. I like the look and feel of them better than other over/unders but I am wondering if anyone can tell me more about them, the good, bad and the ugly. Thanks!:thumbsup:

I don't think you will be disappointed, I have a Beretta in 12 and for me they point better than the browning's and try and find a used one, they are never for sale, especially in 20. I did shoulder a Browning 725 in 20 and that is a nice gun aw well. Everyone's gripe about Beretta is the plain wood but I'll take that oil finish over the High-gloss any day of the week, good luck with your purchase.

I don't think you will be disappointed, I have a Beretta in 12 and for me they point better than the browning's and try and find a used one, they are never for sale, especially in 20. I did shoulder a Browning 725 in 20 and that is a nice gun aw well. Everyone's gripe about Beretta is the plain wood but I'll take that oil finish over the High-gloss any day of the week, good luck with your purchase.

I love the natural wood better than the high gloss finish. I also like how well the gun shoulders and feels!

I have a 686 in the 20/28 combo and love how it shoots and feels. You won't be disappointed. I had to save for 5 years. Finally found one in Sydney, Neb Cabela's. Actually they had 4 of them and brought them all out and opened each box and let me choose. None were on the rack, just in back. Hope you get to hold her soon!!!! Totally understand on waiting till you get the right one or the one you want!!:thumbsup:

I have a 686 in the 20/28 combo and love how it shoots and feels. You won't be disappointed. I had to save for 5 years. Finally found one in Sydney, Neb Cabela's. Actually they had 4 of them and brought them all out and opened each box and let me choose. None were on the rack, just in back. Hope you get to hold her soon!!!! Totally understand on waiting till you get the right one or the one you want!!:thumbsup:

I hope I get to hold her soon too! It's hard for me to get myself to spend that much money right now going in to winter so I think I will stick to using my 20 gauge 870 and then maybe early next spring pull the trigger on a new gun. That way I can practice some with it before pheasant hunting season starts. My dog doesn't care what gun I use right now as long as we're having fun.:D

I have both the Beretta 686 and the Browning 725 in 20 gauge. Both are very nice guns. I shoot both from time to time ...as do my kids and a large number of friends and relatives. I am partial to the Beretta because it seems to fit me better. However, the Browning is the overwhelming pick of the others in the crew who have tried both. COnssitently they say that it just seems to feel better.

They are good guns no doubt. I have a beretta sporting clays gun that I love. If you're not in a hurry to buy watch for a used one as sometimes you can grab a good deal on one. Good luck with the gun, you will love it.

I would love a SP in 20 gauge. I've shouldered a few at the stores over the years and they feel so good.

I try to explain to the wife that guns don't lose value as much as other things in life. B guns hold their value very well.

lots of use

I have the gun in a 28 ga. been using it for about 15 years. hate the high gloss stock but hey! if I were to get the gun again in either the 20 or 28 it would be with 30" barrels, surely not the 26". they are slimmer than most of the other o/u's and I think they are the only one that you can select the barrel regardless of where the safety is, a great feature. buds gun shot in ky or cheaper than dirt have the gun in the low $1700'S at the moment

cheers

I've been using one for a few years now. Definitely my go 2 gun for chasing pheasants. Got it from Joel Etchens cause I wanted 30" barrels to slow the gun down a little bit. Think I paid about $1800. For sure the longer barrels help and I highly recommend them. It is a light, quick gun that you can carry all day. I'll give it an A+. The Cynergy Classic is a nice gun too if the 686 doesn't fit bang on.

Fizzy

I HAVE THE 20/28 COMBO AS WELL. Waited four months for one on order. It is a light quick gun and fits me better than other brands. The one knock on the gun is the butt pad fit. This range of gun should not have these issues IMHO. It will go somewhere after the season for a new pad and another 1/4 in of LOP. It fits me better than my superposed in the same GA. and just feels better. I had an older snipe or some such at one time and did not like it in 12. The 20's are noticeably easier to carry these days, even at 6'4 and 300 lbs. it makes a difference to carry 2 lbs. less. Btw I looked for a year for a recent model used one and personally could not find one for much less than new from the same places mustituff mentioned. I might add No. Ark. guns to the recomendation.
Good Luck

I have the 12 gauge Silver Pigeon II that has never been assembled
still in the original box with incredible wood....I have found that I Have
no reason to shoot it

I have a 686 20GA.

It is my go to pheasant/grouse and even duck gun (although if I run 3" mags it blows my shoulder off.

Have killed more pheasants, quail, ducks, and a few grouse and rabbits with it.
Have never had one issue. It's light, rugged, well built, fits me like a glove and just feels right. I've used and abused that gun and it never has let me down.

I've wanted to get all sorts of other guns over the past 15-20 yrs (I've had mine since the mid 90s I think) but I know I will not use them to hunt over this thing. And I don't like guns I won't shoot.

The one concession I made was for a dedicated quail gun in 28ga, a Renatto Gamba SxS.

I have a 686 20GA.

It is my go to pheasant/grouse and even duck gun (although if I run 3" mags it blows my shoulder off.

Have killed more pheasants, quail, ducks, and a few grouse and rabbits with it.
Have never had one issue. It's light, rugged, well built, fits me like a glove and just feels right. I've used and abused that gun and it never has let me down.

I've wanted to get all sorts of other guns over the past 15-20 yrs (I've had mine since the mid 90s I think) but I know I will not use them to hunt over this thing. And I don't like guns I won't shoot.

The one concession I made was for a dedicated quail gun in 28ga, a Renatto Gamba SxS.

did you get the gamba

cheers

Yes. I have had it for a couple or 3 years. Still have some issues with the double trigger since I've used the Beretta for so long but I'm getting better with it. I've also promised myself I'll take it pheasant hunting at least once this season, probably when we get a good snow and birds may hold a little tighter.

Dedicated Browning Guy

Then I bought a Beretta 20 Gauge Silver Pidgeon O/U......
Have not picked up my browning in 4 years for upland. "Nuff Said" Okay...A little more....You will not regret it...you will love it.

I have been looking at this over/under in a 20 gauge for a couple years now, I doubt I will buy it this year though. I was wondering if any of you have one. I like the look and feel of them better than other over/unders but I am wondering if anyone can tell me more about them, the good, bad and the ugly. Thanks!:thumbsup:

Then I bought a Beretta 20 Gauge Silver Pidgeon O/U......
Have not picked up my browning in 4 years for upland. "Nuff Said" Okay...A little more....You will not regret it...you will love it.

I think you are right. Every time I'm in the gun area I go and pick it up off the rack, it just feels so nice! Maybe I will get one after Christmas.......MAYBE:eek:

I know you want the Silver Pigeon, but why not save some jingle,(especially if its going to see extensive work in the field) and go with the 686 White Onyx..

Back