Before, During, and After

JMc

Super Moderator
After reading the post about our time in the field as we age, I thought I would share my actions and remedies and pick your minds on what we do to keep going through the aches and pains.
Days before a hunt:
Hydrate (water)​
Day of and during hunt:
Breakfast (nothing spicy...lol)​
3 - 650mg Acetaminophen​
Hydrate (water w/electrolytes)​
No lunch​
Snack (granola bars, [[homemade jerky and summer sausage, cheese])​
Protein and Carb dinner​
After hunt:
2 - 650mg Acetaminophen​
DMSO (I know it's not for human use but I've been using it since the late 70's and haven't grown a tail yet.)​
Good dinner​
Early to bed​
Obvious:
Good fitting boots
Proper gear
Lighter gun
?

I used to suffer with bad cramps, especially after cattails or blown over milo stalks. I found a pill of potassium a day a few days before and during the hunt has softened that. Also plenty of water.

After reading the post about our time in the field as we age, I thought I would share my actions and remedies and pick your minds on what we do to keep going through the aches and pains.
Days before a hunt:
Hydrate (water)​
Day of and during hunt:
Breakfast (nothing spicy...lol)​
3 - 650mg Acetaminophen​
Hydrate (water w/electrolytes)​
No lunch​
Snack (granola bars, [[homemade jerky and summer sausage, cheese])​
Protein and Carb dinner​
After hunt:
2 - 650mg Acetaminophen​
DMSO (I know it's not for human use but I've been using it since the late 70's and haven't grown a tail yet.)​
Good dinner​
Early to bed​
Obvious:
Good fitting boots
Proper gear
Lighter gun
?

What? No dust cutter after the guns are put away at the end of the day? lol

Chicken fries steak breakfast, lots of coffee, 3 aspirin, lots of water.Durring,Hershey chocolate bars, PBJ, water.After, PBR red beer, t bone steak, lots of water, in bed by 9.30.

that's more like it!

I used to suffer with bad cramps, especially after cattails or blown over milo stalks. I found a pill of potassium a day a few days before and during the hunt has softened that. Also plenty of water.
Bananas work also...Sometimes I will eat 3-5 a day.

Start with rocket fuel black coffee
Full two egg omelet breakfast
Snacks during day, lanyager, phez sticks, cheese curds, bananas
Gatorade as needed or water
Advil if needed. Hot shower before dinner.
Cocktail hour around 5PM, nachos, chips, dark beer
Full dinner and slice of fruit pie ala mode.
No trouble sleeping
Repeat

Seems that every year the night of my first NODak hunt I get hit with these cramps. Sometimes so bad I must stand in the middle of the night holding onto the bed. Some of this I can minimize by eating banana. Another for me is taking myself off my cholesterol meds several days before my trip. Seems the statins can cause or increase Leg spasms.
I feel your pain.

I give myself and the dog several days off in between hunts. I've never been much of a "pound ground for days" kind of hunter, even when I was younger and had more endurance. Rest is the solution.

I occasionally used to get charlie horses in either my hamstrings or quads. They were extremely painful. I believe that it was a lack of hydration BEFORE the hunt. Now I guzzle water for a day ahead of time to get those muscles ready and it hasn't happened in a couple years.

Sometimes so bad I must stand in the middle of the night holding onto the bed
I know that feeling. Usually would happen after I've been sitting or laying down for a while and then try to stand up. The pain was so bad it would almost make me faint...and right when that was about to happen, it would go away.

Back