bad pigeon exposure for pup?

c_d

Since we live in an urban area, there are a ton of pigeons around. pup hasn't officially been introduced to birds yet. Lately, at a local park, I've let her run to flush the pigeons. After the birds take off she does a pretty decent job of coming back to me. Just wondering if I'm building bad habits at all? It's pretty tough to walk her on leash and tell her to ignore the birds. like i said, there are tons of pigeons around. not to mention ducks, sea gulls and what not.

What kind of dog is it? I think it's good experience for flushing breeds, but maybe not for pointers....

You've got a springer correct? I don't think it will cause any problems, may even get bored with it since she/he can't catch them.

Maybe you could use it as a training exercise. Are you teaching the "HUP" command?

Last edited:
yup, she's a springer. in terms of 'hup' command, not specifically sure what you mean. we are working to sit at any time I command tho (voice and hand, some whistle work too).

I guess my main concern was weakening her flush. When we're walking, she'll stop and focus on the birds. total stare. I'm not looking to turn her into a pointer ;)

example of how it goes when I let her chase â??*she notices the birds and stares (no command given to sit), I drop her lead, call her name as her release, and off she goes. once pigeons are up and off, I recall her.

This isn't an everyday thing that I let her chase them, BUT, we do see birds everyday, that's for sure.

I would try to avoid most of that if you can. You should get the pup to one of those groups. They will get you started on the birds 1/4ing, with deads and clips etc. You want the pup chasing at first when intorduced to flyers. You don't start calling them off untill they get some shot.What will happen is the dog will end up not going out for long retrieves after too much of this.

I would try to avoid most of that if you can. You should get the pup to one of those groups. They will get you started on the birds 1/4ing, with deads and clips etc. You want the pup chasing at first when intorduced to flyers. You don't start calling them off untill they get some shot.What will happen is the dog will end up not going out for long retrieves after too much of this.

thanks. Birds in general on our walks are impossible to avoid. I'd be lucky to see a fraction of the ducks and geese from a blind that I do around this area. But point taken. I've talked to a few local groups, and I think we have a few weeks/month before the spring trials are over and training sessions are open that I can go to. For now, I'll just limit her chasing tennis balls.

cheers!:cheers:

Back