At what point do you retire your dog?

I’d say hunt the dog until the dog doesn’t want to. And as others have said, hunt appropriate cover. I’ll add that I’ll try to pick a situation where success is more likely, for an older dog.

I can only hope!
I hear ya! For most if they are lucky enough make it to that age, their knees have gotten so bad that there’s no way they can lift their feet high enough to make it through the tall grass and uneven terrain.

This morning I took my 12 Yo Pud out after some Grouse. Almost immediately she got into a young covey along with my 3 Yo Golden. Not long after she started having problems. Loud breathing, hind legs struggling. She got stuck in some brush, but she refused to stop trying hard. Had to stop and take her back to the truck. I'll try again for a limited hunt but I think her days in the field are numbered. Next time I'll take her on a nice crisp morning.

Mn Hunter: Your experience with the 12 yr old is re markedly the same as what I experienced last April at a Preserve...legs gave way and collapsed after 10 minutes. It was a warm day which wasn't the best of conditions. I did take him back to the truck as he was done.

He's 13 on Sept 11 and sadly his hunting day's are over. He was quite the hunter in his day!

I have a Brittany that will be 13 this November. She is in excellent shape for her age.
She is lean, etc. We start running hopefully in a week or so to get into shape for the season. It has been way too hot here to get her ready. She still has a great nose. Hopefully she can hunt this year sparingly. She still has a strong desire.

Any birddog worth it's salt will have a strong desire until the moment he/she dies. That doesn't mean it can! We cannot expect any of our pooches to go as strong as they once did, once they get to certain ages. The age will vary by genetics, and the type of life, and care they've had. Like others I'm sure have seen some pretty piss poor kennels. Poorly constructed, and poorly maintained, breaks my heart to see that. Then there's the guy that thinks feeding Old Roy is O.K. NOT. Sorry for rant, and not directed at anybody, just feel very strongly about taken care of pups. Good hunting.

I agree. Typically when my dogs get older I try and hunt them an hour or two when it is cool. Works out for them. They get to hunt a little and be part of the hunt. It has worked out for several dogs over the years. I treat my dogs very well. Great food, vitamins, glucosamine, etc.

Last edited:
JonnyB, Thank goodness u still have the drive to do so. I hope that I will be alive at 85 and can still hunt. You are a lucky man.

I have a older setter that has the will but can only be effective for shorter hunts in certain kinds of cover.
I will use her when applicable - if she feels the same way about it that she did last year.

Thankfully, she no longer howls, scratches and otherwise goes crazy when she is not in the field every day, all day....

She puts a smile on her face every time you charge the collars or clean a shotgun regardless of weather and when the weather cools you can bet she will run off in the neighborhood (temporarily) if you do not watch her.

I am spending time laying on the floor with her just talking over the daily issues!

The Flush podcast this week is on "Hunting with Geriatric Bird Dogs". A vet discusses ways to help old bird dogs. There were a few things I wasn't aware of such as the new drug for dogs with osteoarthritis pain called Librela. Sounded encouraging but they didn't discuss prices. I bet it's costly. It needs to be injected monthly.

EPISODE 179
Hunting with Geriatric Bird Dogs

I wish I could give you the right answer.
Twice I've carried dogs out of the field, exhausted, that I had raised from birth, because I thought they could still hunt in the terrain and conditions I put them.
I was wrong and I think it was cruel. They deserved better respect.
For me, I hope the next time I will err on the side of caution.
My oldest two are now 10, exercise them regularly on my farm, and they are slowing down. If nothing changes, they will be in SD multiple times this Fall.
My plan this Fall will be to hunt them on smaller tracts - quarter sections and in ideal weather conditions, no hot days or deep snow.
I agree, dial it back some.Mine just turned 10, and still hunts well.I will be careful with her this season.

Any birddog worth it's salt will have a strong desire until the moment he/she dies. That doesn't mean it can! We cannot expect any of our pooches to go as strong as they once did, once they get to certain ages. The age will vary by genetics, and the type of life, and care they've had. Like others I'm sure have seen some pretty piss poor kennels. Poorly constructed, and poorly maintained, breaks my heart to see that. Then there's the guy that thinks feeding Old Roy is O.K. NOT. Sorry for rant, and not directed at anybody, just feel very strongly about taken care of pups. Good hunting.
Never use kennels. Keep your dog in the house on the couch.

I hear ya! For most if they are lucky enough make it to that age, their knees have gotten so bad that there’s no way they can lift their feet high enough to make it through the tall grass and uneven terrain.
You have to try to keep them in shorter cover. No cattails,or Buck brush.You will get more sharptails.

Back