At what point do you retire your dog?

I have a golden that will be 15 in Feb. I hunted her a lot last year. She got the small honey hole covers that the youngsters would race through. The youngsters got the cat tail sloughs and big crp fields. She looks like she can make it through a few more short walks this year, we'll see.

I have a Vizsla that is turning 11 tomorrow. I retired her when she had to have an emergency hysterectomy and a tumor removed from her rear quarter a few years ago. We didn't think she would make it this long and my wife didn't want me taking her on trips. When my wife said I could get another hunting dog....I took advantage of the situation and told her it would take 2 dogs to replace her. She was never that strong of a hunter but my wife didn't know that. It takes 36 years of marriage to know how to play that hand.

Got a started GSP and a young Vizsla that is going to be a stud. I love my old girl Abby but I was able to really upgrade my hunting with my younger dogs.

I agree. Typically when my dogs get older I try and hunt them an hour or two when it is cool. Works out for them. They get to hunt a little and be part of the hunt. It has worked out for several dogs over the years. I treat my dogs very well. Great food, vitamins, glucosamine etc
I’d love to know what brand of glucosamine you use. I’m currently using Dasuquin with MSM soft chews but not sure if there’s something better.

I started this thread back in August on when to retire a hunting dog because my female british yellow lab turns 12 next month. I received lots of good advice on the subject and the season played out very well, with no obvious health issues. I avoided hunting in the heat, I didn't hunt anything longer than a few hours, and I gave the dog several days of rest in between hunts. There was one day in early December when it was almost 50 degrees and I could see it taking a toll on her after a long retrieve. She was panting extremely hard. Other than that, she was able to jump in and out of the truck every time. I did not lose a single cripple this season either. Just took her to the vet last week for a comprehensive visit and there are no major health issues to address. I am going to start a joint supplement this off season.

Attachments

• 11-25-23 roosters dog.jpg
    11-25-23 roosters dog.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 12-5-23 roosters dog.jpg
    12-5-23 roosters dog.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 12-14-23 rooster.jpg
    12-14-23 rooster.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I started this thread back in August on when to retire a hunting dog because my female british yellow lab turns 12 next month. I received lots of good advice on the subject and the season played out very well, with no obvious health issues. I avoided hunting in the heat, I didn't hunt anything longer than a few hours, and I gave the dog several days of rest in between hunts. There was one day in early December when it was almost 50 degrees and I could see it taking a toll on her after a long retrieve. She was panting extremely hard. Other than that, she was able to jump in and out of the truck every time. I did not lose a single cripple this season either. Just took her to the vet last week for a comprehensive visit and there are no major health issues to address. I am going to start a joint supplement this off season.
Old dogs are the best!

We started our 10yr old GSP on Dasuquin about a month ago. 6 weeks of 2 pills/day, then 1 per day from there on out. Unfortunately, the hunting season ended before we could see any real tests of progress. She does just fine on 5 mile runs, but nothing is as telling as a day afield. Verdict is still out on how much benefit she will see, but the scientific reviews of the product are promising.

We started our 10yr old GSP on Dasuquin about a month ago. 6 weeks of 2 pills/day, then 1 per day from there on out. Unfortunately, the hunting season ended before we could see any real tests of progress. She does just fine on 5 mile runs, but nothing is as telling as a day afield. Verdict is still out on how much benefit she will see, but the scientific reviews of the product are promising.

Running in the field or on pavement ?

I agree, dial it back some.Mine just turned 10, and still hunts well.I will be careful with her this season.
My 10 year old did well this season. We lost some birds, but she found all birds that were expired. It was very warm this season, and dry.

My Weim hunted until she was 15. Once she was 14 i had to be careful where and for how long we hunted because her hearing and eyesight wasn't vey good, but she could still do it and wanted to.

My Vizsla hunted to 12 then got bone cancer.

My Braque Francais hunted until he as 14 and was fine until pancreatitis took him out at 14.5. His last day out is still one of my best hunting days ever. 3 guys, one do and had a blast.

Your thread got me to thinking (too much time on my hands).

When do I retire from chasing bird dogs and pheasants?

Couple of my thoughts/ points --
1. Don't mind hunting with a couple of other friends, the comradery is enjoyable, but I truly love hunting alone with just one of my dogs - just the 2 of us.
2. Started 30 years ago making multiple trips to SD with 4 or 5 friends that also had dogs. It was great fun. The number that goes now sometimes is down to maybe only 2 and last year only one. 2 years ago, I made 2 solo trips in January to SD, 2 of the best trips ever.
3. At 74, my brain, coordination, reflexes, strength nowhere near what they were just 2 years ago.

How do you know when to stop going?
When you cant find your truck, or if you're hunting in your bedroom slippers....

When you cant find your truck, or if you're hunting in your bedroom slippers....
Thanks.... I'll write that down as I might not remember. (If only I can find where I wrote it down).

Neither of those 2 reasons have yet occurred. Hope to make it a couple times next year.

Happy New Year to all the UPH members and guests!!

Back