anyone hear or see pheasant s yet

Remtech

I was just wondering what people are hearing or seeing. I heard a rooster while goose hunting the other day.

Remtech

I've heard a few in Wisconsin and Northern IL. My dad's just south of your border and he has pheasants behind his house dusting themselves, cackling, etc.:)

There's some birds this year (WI/IL)--- both older and younger (this year's brood) birds.

Last edited:
I took the dogs for a short walk a couple weeks ago and we flushed double digit numbers of birds, 2 mature roosters the rest were hens and young of the year birds. Less than a half a mile walk back in.

Also heard some cackling while checking out some new land I didn't know was public until recently.

I flushed 2 young roosters a couple weeks ago with my puppy. I've walked 2 other fields and heard and saw nothing. I have another scouting trip set up for tomorrow afternoon.

Seen a few young roosters.

I'll walk the ground I have permission to hunt on, but unless we move more birds than I've seen so far, I think I'm hanging out at State properties again this year.

But I'm hoping. :)

I was out goose hunting and went out driving to scout some pheasant spots when I seen a rooster and two hens on the edge of the corn. It was a great site to see. I also found some new great pheasant spots good day.

Remtech

I was out goose hunting and went out driving to scout some pheasant spots when I seen a rooster and two hens on the edge of the corn. It was a great site to see. I also found some new great pheasant spots good day.

Remtech

I'm back at it in the morning. I hope I have as good of luck as you. It's nice to hear about people seeing birds.

Keep reporting.

Took the dog out yesterday to jump shoot a few ponds with the southern duck opener. On the walk back to the truck I let her run. I noticed she was honing in on something and didn't think anything of it. Got about 75 yards further and noticed she wasn't with me. Turned around and head back to where I saw her, get about 15 yards from that spot and a rooster erupts from the cover. I think she got sick of holding point, or he got sick of sitting. She broke on the flush and out of the next bush over came a hen. Pretty neat to see some wild birds.

Only got 1 up and whiffed. Hunted Sunday and the clowns were out in full force. Had two separate groups walk by my spread right at prime time. Sat was supposedly great in the marsh, the overnight cold really pushed the teal out. Sunday if you weren't where the woodies wanted to be it was slow going.

We'll see if I can find something less crowded for after the split. Headed north Wed. Night for 4 days of chasing grouse and woodcock.

Did well, in my opinion, for my first trip for grouse and woodcock. Good number of flushed. Some days/spots better than others. Ended 4 days with 2 grouse and 4 woodcock. Should have had more but sawed some trees off in the middle of my pattern on a few grouse. I'm now thoroughly addicted to those spooky buggers!

Thanks for the reports. This will be my last year to hunt Grouse up north. The in-laws are selling their cabin in the Spring. I'm looking forward to the trip.

On a side note, I went on two scouting trips since my last report:
1st trip: moved 2 roosters and a hen.
2nd trip: moved 4 roosters

Things are looking good.

Back