Anybody hunt the Wing ND area

Pepperpheasant

Hunted in se nd on first trip an area I have hunted for last 12 years. Look at report going into season area was supposedly up 25% from last year. Knocked on doors for years I have acquired many private spots. Last year friend and I took 40 out of 48 on two trips. Hunting good. Thought it’s going to be really good this year. Went over Halloween. Corn was way behind coming out just starting when we got there. That much corn up I new it would a challenge but the great property we have to hunt we always find enough birds to come back. This year two days four guys three dogs six birds. We drove around at first light scouting birds on road nothing like it’s been in years. 100 inches of snow last winter was tough on numbers this year. Looking to try Wing nd on second trip,never been there anybody hunt the Wing area of nd. Any info on area I would like to hear from ya.

I've hunted that general area for sharpies and huns. Haven't spent a lot of time there, more like a day here and there, while passing through to other areas in '20-'22. Saw good numbers of pheasant.
Didn't hunt that area this year, even though I passed through several times in Sept and Oct, because I know they got a tremendous amount of snow last winter. So I don't have any info about how the hunting was this season. But generally speaking, that area should have better bird numbers than the SE part of the state.

I've hunted that general area for sharpies and huns. Haven't spent a lot of time there, more like a day here and there, while passing through to other areas in '20-'22. Saw good numbers of pheasant.
Didn't hunt that area this year, even though I passed through several times in Sept and Oct, because I know they got a tremendous amount of snow last winter. So I don't have any info about how the hunting was this season. But generally speaking, that area should have better bird numbers than the SE part of the state.
Thanks for responding. I got a tip 12 years ago from friend and landowner about the birds pretty good went there got birds hunted the area and acquired more permission on private land from nice people in area. In those years we did quite well not always limits but very little pressure most trips only see 2-3 groups in our time out hunting. It’s like we have it all to ourselves. Snow did a number on them. Second trip coming up next week. We’re going to try Wing area. I know sw and nw best numbers for birds but I don’t care to much for higher pressured areas and all that goes with that. Thanks

Thanks for responding. I got a tip 12 years ago from friend and landowner about the birds pretty good went there got birds hunted the area and acquired more permission on private land from nice people in area. In those years we did quite well not always limits but very little pressure most trips only see 2-3 groups in our time out hunting. It’s like we have it all to ourselves. Snow did a number on them. Second trip coming up next week. We’re going to try Wing area. I know sw and nw best numbers for birds but I don’t care to much for higher pressured areas and all that goes with that. Thanks
I hear you about avoiding the pressured areas, I try to do the same. I've been going to ND for the past 4 years and for the most part I've been able to stay away from the crowds both in the NW and SW.
Good luck on your 2nd trip and let us know how it goes. I would love to take one more trip to ND this season, but it's a 24 hour drive each way, and I've already been twice, so it's not in the cards. I can't resist keeping an eye on the weather though, and it's tempting!

I hear you about avoiding the pressured areas, I try to do the same. I've been going to ND for the past 4 years and for the most part I've been able to stay away from the crowds both in the NW and SW.
Good luck on your 2nd trip and let us know how it goes. I would love to take one more trip to ND this season, but it's a 24 hour drive each way, and I've already been twice, so it's not in the cards. I can't resist keeping an eye on the weather though, and it's tempting!
Good luck on your 2nd trip and let us know how it goes. I would love to take one more trip to ND this season, but it's a 24 hour drive each way, and I've already been twice, so it's not in the cards. I can't resist keeping an eye on the weather though, and it's tempting! How did your first couple trips go and were you there ever on first two weeks of the season. I also look at the weather in my favorite spots all year. Last winter was tough watching the snow pile up.

Woops. I entered at the end of your message. How did your trips go. Have you hunted the first couple weeks of season and I watch weather on all my favorite spots year round also.

Woops. I entered at the end of your message. How did your trips go. Have you hunted the first couple weeks of season and I watch weather on all my favorite spots year round also.
Both trips were outstanding. First trip was 2 weeks, starting with the sharptail & hun opener. Hadn't really planned on taking a 2nd trip, but during the first trip we saw so many pheasant while hunting sharpies and huns that we decided to add the 2nd trip. That trip was a little over a week, starting in mid-Oct. Both trips were me and my wife, plus the pup.
At the end of the 2nd trip we went to SD and hunted 4 days. Had a good time in SD, but we were kinda wishing we had just stayed in ND for those 4 days.

Going to sw Nd for first time on Wednesday through Sunday never been there. Have you hunted that area before and any advice on a town to start in. I know some want to hold there cards tight to the chest so I understand,either way. 😇 thanks for the talk.

Back