any good tips for the GI area

cockrocker

I just came up to the Grand Island area for some work for the month, (maybe longer) and I would like to get the dog out on a couple sundays to see if she can get a few birds up. I will check out some of the public lands and see what they look like habitat wise, but am wondering which direction is the best to head toward. I don't need any gps numbers, just some general advice for the area. thanks in advance guys

I've only hunted that area once with a friend who lives over in North Platte. We never made it all the way to GI, but hunted some areas in between. All public land, and some with great looking cover. Birds were kind of scarce. We did get access to a couple pieces of private ground by knocking on a couple doors.

I've found the folks in Nebraska very friendly to hunters and only been refused access a few times.

So, my advice is start with the public land map and if you see something interesting along the way knock on a few doors.

Good luck.

cockroker, it has been a while since I was out hunting around the Grand Island area....so no promises.

Saint Paul to the North has always been good to me.

South to Red Cloud area.

Also if you are willing to drive a little bit. I suggest the "Rain Water Basin" Geneva or Shickley areas. Just keep in mind the RWB is all non toxic shot.

Now if you wish to stay a little closer to GI do NOT go down around Hastings.

I would also suggest not going to the East

I would suggest the town area of Cairo

Hope you find some birds out there.

Back