Another browning question

Hossdog

I have another chance to buy a light 12 Belgium made. The only problem is the barrel has a Polly choke on it. If I was to buy it and got a original Belgium barrel would the value be the same as the original barrel that came with it?
Thanks

Probably, used Browning A5 barrels are very expensive. I do know that most A5 barrel serial numbers do not match the receiver serial number any way. Browning did not match them during assembly most years. I did find a standard weight Belgium A5 in 12 gauge last week with solid rib barrel and the serial numbers did match. Some others on here probably have more information than me but I think the value will hold or increase with another barrel.

Last edited:
I don't believe there is a way to tell if the barrel is original to the gun. As I understand it, Browning stopped matching barrel and receiver serial numbers decades ago. If it is an original Light 12 barrel, it would have whatever value could be placed on an all original Belgian A-5. But as was said, original Browning barrels can be pricey.

As I understand it, Browning stopped matching barrel and receiver serial numbers sometime in the 50's. If the gun is of that vintage, it would be impossible to tell if the barrel is original to the gun. But as was said, original Browning barrels can be pricey.

Well I ended up getting the light 12 receiver for $200. So I didn't think that was to bad. So now I have a Belgium 12 magnum and 1/2 of a light 12. I had a sweet 16 in my grasps for 700 but the guy couldn't wait 2 hrs for me to drive there so he sold it for 500.. That one kinda upset me. But I will find another.

Back