Anaplasmosis in dogs

lab man

On 3/9/10 I posted that I was afraid my lab had EIC. A week later I took him in for his annual shots and they took a blood test and it showed that he had anaplasmosis. It is a bacteria and also can be called Ehrlichia, it is carried by ticks.
A year ago he did get a shot for ticks, plus I used frontline when we go camping in Northern Wisconsin. This year they have a new shot with a booster shot a month later (hope this helps). He was on antibiotics for a month and seems fine now.
Have any of you heard of this disease?

thank you
lab man

lab man

cant say ive had, this problem. looking into it, got alot to say about ticks, however, dont now what, you are talking about, will look into it, and get back to you. thx for the info:)

thanks

Thanks for all the information for everyone on this site.. My dog had started to vomit and after retrieving 5 or 6 bumbers he whoule start to limp..the blood test came up with this result.. I hope the pills have taken of this problem time will tell.. he seems to be fine now.. thanks again for the report you sent... lab man

lab man

lab man ,
so sorry , to hear your dog, has contacted is problem, from the lack of posts on this forum , i would say that , like myself, it is not , well know problem/ common disease in dogs. i hope, the medication that your dog is on fixes the problem. you have brought to everyone on this sight, something to think about. really hope your dog makes it.
ticks , they kill, not just dogs, but humans. that why you sould check yourself dog and yourself for ticks, after every feild trip, before the permafrost. lab mam hope your dog makes it :):):)

It's very common in this area and in much of WI. They changed the name to anaplasmosis for some reason a few years back. Used to be called Ehrlichiosis. The human version (yep we can get it too) was Human Granulocytic Erlichiosis.

I've seen dogs and people with it. If caught early antibiotics usually knock it for a loop for good. If not it can be rough. The vaccine and booster your dog had was probably for Lymes, a bit more common but different tick disease.

Worth talking to your vet about if you live in an area with a high incidence of deer ticks or lyme disease. Best way to avoid trouble is getting vaccine for lymes and proper application of a good tick repellant like Frontline. A lot of people start applying that a bit too late in the spring or stop too early in the fall.

Back